USPS Messed up AGAIN

I think you guys are missing the big picture here. This is not FedEx or UPS they decide where they are going to deliver. The USPS does not have that choice. If they got to pick where they were delivering then I could agree. They are forced by the gov to deliver to the farthest reaches of our country. How many of you are have UPS packages show up in the hands of your USPS driver? They never loose money when the gov continues to bail them out yearly.

That would be fine if they got it right those 3-4 times a week. Some areas may be better than others, but our area leaves a lot to be desired.
I would be fine 2-3 times a week.
I think you guys are missing the big picture here. This is not FedEx or UPS they decide where they are going to deliver. The USPS does not have that choice. If they got to pick where they were delivering then I could agree. They are forced by the gov to deliver to the farthest reaches of our country. How many of you are have UPS packages show up in the hands of your USPS driver? They never loose money when the gov continues to bail them out yearly.
Yep!

The USPS is a service that our tax dollars pay for each and every year. Yes, they must charge something but you cannot tell me my mom's 4 books of forever stamps are paying for the fuel it takes to cart her 100 Xmas cards around the country each year. The fact that you can still send a letter, just about anywhere in the country, for a nominal fee is proof the service largely works. It is not a for profit business seeking to operate in the most efficient corporate manner possible. No different than Police, Fire, etc, either fund them and help them exist or hire private. But like the OP stated, 6 miles vs 11 miles and those flat rate boxes are just sooo convenient... You want the post office to function better, maybe give them some of the 40 billion dollars we just sent oversees and maybe they could hire Lockheed to build them better ways to sort and transport the post.

My wife worked at our local post office for twenty years. She was a clerk, sorting mail, working the counter, and sometimes ( before she became a regular ) would deliver the mail on weekends.

If I had the time and inclination I'd tell you some of the horror stories she told me about her co-workers and the people on the other side of the counter.

It's a people problem. Employees, supervisors, and customers. Just like any other institution.

The USPS is a service that our tax dollars pay for each and every year. Yes, they must charge something but you cannot tell me my mom's 4 books of forever stamps are paying for the fuel it takes to cart her 100 Xmas cards around the country each year. The fact that you can still send a letter, just about anywhere in the country, for a nominal fee is proof the service largely works. It is not a for profit business seeking to operate in the most efficient corporate manner possible. No different than Police, Fire, etc, either fund them and help them exist or hire private. But like the OP stated, 6 miles vs 11 miles and those flat rate boxes are just sooo convenient... You want the post office to function better, maybe give them some of the 40 billion dollars we just sent oversees and maybe they could hire Lockheed to build them better ways to sort and transport the post.
Try Google why the USPS is losing money and see the history of USPS
I didn't start this post to get members in a disagreement discussion, rather to express my disappointment in the USPS System.

"The Postal Service was designed to be self-sufficient — unlike other federal agencies, it does not live off dollars collected as taxes. Rather, it tries to cover its operating expenses by charging postage."
Years ago the USPS did make money then the "Internet" came out "Email" attributed to loss in mail/stamps and the biggest cost-loss was Labor and Retirement Funding. That is when "Tax Payers" had to start funding the USPS.

My comments about the USPS is they have incompetent people working there and once they are hired it is almost impossible to fire them. The way some of the delivery/carrier USPS personnel deliver mail and packages is a disgrace. I have had a driver pull up in my driveway with packages ripped open and items on the floor of the Postal Jeep, give me the package and not care about it. Mail found in the ditch alongside my mail box. Have sent packages that got lost and try to get a claim in from them. I have sent items to LRH members that they never received and had to send another package of give them money back.
USPS does have a lot of hard working employees and most do a GREAT Job. It is the few that make the Postal Service look bad.

Last edited:
Try Google why the USPS is losing money and see the history of USPS
I didn't start this post to get members in a disagreement discussion, rather to express my disappointment in the USPS System.

"The Postal Service was designed to be self-sufficient — unlike other federal agencies, it does not live off dollars collected as taxes. Rather, it tries to cover its operating expenses by charging postage."
Years ago the USPS did make money then the "Internet" came out "Email" attributed to loss in mail/stamps and the biggest cost-loss was Labor and Retirement Funding. That is when "Tax Payers" had to start funding the USPS.

My comments about the USPS is they have incompetent people working there and once they are hired it is almost impossible to fire them. The way some of the delivery/carrier USPS personnel deliver mail and packages is a disgrace. I have had a driver pull up in my driveway with packages ripped open and items on the floor of the Postal Jeep, give me the package and not care about it. Mail found in the ditch alongside my mail box. Have sent packages that got lost and try to get a claim in from them. I have sent items to LRH members that they never received and had to send another package of give them money back.
USPS does have a lot of hard working employees and most do a GREAT Job. It is the few that make the Postal Service look bad.
You are certainly not wrong. Customer Service, or even just service in general is becoming a dying art. Not just USPS but many more places each day. I agree it's a people caring for fellow people problem. Doesn't take a lot of effort to put some care into what you do and who you are providing a service to or working for.

A blanket statement was made on #1 about USPS and how "anything that is Government-Run S**ks." LRH is an open forum; one might not like others' opinions because they are not in line with theirs, but that is the beauty of it all, "we" all have different lived experiences and perspectives to share as long as we are objective and civil in the open discussion. Cheers!

The P.O. is currently short handed, like about everywhere else. I just looked on-line and at our local P.O. there are currently 6 full time jobs available and several part time positions, the population of the town is about 20,000 when college is in session. I'm sure it's a busy place where there's not much time to screw around, you'd work for the $21/hr starting wage + generous benefits. My mail gets delivered 6 days a week. I don't remember when it wasn't delivered to the proper address. I am semi-rural, out of the city limit by a ways. I bought a large sized mail box, one that'll easily fit a Large Sized flat rate box, just so the delivery man wouldn't have to carry it up to the door. Poor service is everywhere these days, but I sure haven't experienced it with the local P.O. here.

They never seem to loose bills 🤔 🥴 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 , but do loose important (to the receiver) items! My cousin works for the usps and I blame her, but she knows I'm joking. I've lived in the same house for almost 30 years and usps, fed-ex and ups have done well on getting delivered to the correct address. With that stated the las 6 weeks by all 3 listed as run amuck! My house still is in the same place it was when Redibuilt delivered it back in '76. 1 good thing about small towns is that almost everyone knows you and where you live. Any screwup on all 3 parts you still get your packages/mail.

USPS is one of if not the only organization required to prefund their pension plan for 75 years, over $120 billion, that's when the bad stuff started happening in 2006. New legislation should let them off the hook of the insane requirement.

Talking about a recession; "Yes, but it is actually a good thing. It has been raining money on fools for too long. Some bankruptcies need to happen. Also, all the COVID stay at home stuff has tricked people into thinking you don't actually need to work hard. Rude awakening inbound." Elon Musk

Today marks the 1 month anniversary that a member of this site shipped me a barrel I purchased from him. It has officially went off grid for the second time. Several days back I filed an inquiry about it and the next day it turned up at a distribution center and was sent out the next morning.🙄 The inquiry actually took several days of trying to file at the USPS website, took the local PO making some calls. Since then the package is MIA and nobody can figure out where it was shipped to. So as of now I'm not only out the money for the barrel, which was shipped without insurance, but now my gunsmith (that was on standby for this) is on a month long trip. I have missed multiple competitions and unless I try and find a prefit (which I've tried and failed & even if I did will cost $500+ more dollars) I will be out for several more.
I've got one word for this experience with the USPS…incompetence. Pretty much just not happy with this whole ordeal.