Using the Zeiss Rapid Z for Mil-line ranging

hybridfiat

I recently bought a couple of excellent Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquests and being used to the Milrad system wanted to use that for ranging.
But how you ask?
Well at 12x the lines on the reticule subtend 1 milrad at 100m.
So I mapped out the rest of the reticule and found that most of it is in graduations that are equal. Only around the BDC does it get messy. So Ive made up a little picture that might help others get a handle on using a multi power scope with 2nd Focal plane reticule to range using Milrads.
The BDC is still useful as a quick way to get holdover but you still have to know how far the target/prey is.
Ive put all the rifles dope into an App called Mil-Dot Ballistics so I can still use the elevation turret (in MOA) to get the centre of the crosshairs on target if I have time.

Attachments

• RapidZVarmint.jpg
    RapidZVarmint.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 107
Finding out which power to set the scope at for rangeing was easy, I measured (using a surveyors tool) 100m exactly and put up a target with lines 100mm apart.
Hunkered down with a steady rest and used the zoom to match the lines on the target with those on the reticule.
Done!
Because I have an app to do the thinking for me the MOA turrets aren't a problem.
Ive already put in the dope for that rifle plus range Ive sighted the rifle in order to use the BDC and when I have the range it tells me how many clicks to get the crosshairs dead on.
I hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.