Using Mil-Dots with power settings for holdover?

So far all I have heard is some pretty weak arguments against it? No matter what system you use you will need to range the target. With this system all you need to do is look at the chart as below that would be taped to your stock, set your power on the scope and use the dot indicated.

All the chart above was for is to show how the figures where arrived at.

DotChart.jpg

Hey, I'm willing to give it a try. Hopefully I won't lose the darned critter, but there are a few to take its place.

Can you email your spreadsheet to me, please? I'll try it out at my next shoot.

SamSpade
quote "So far all I have heard is some pretty weak arguments against it?"

I don't think anybody cares how you use your scope, just telling you what has happened to them.

Some of us live in the mountains! what good is your chart for 800 yards with 30 deg slope?? or maybe go from 6K to 10K hunting elk?? or 80deg to 30deg?? First light or neer dark, Sun popping over the horizon, you get the point!

Your not the first one to try every possibly way to have the right dot or mark or click or better mouse trap, thats why there are so many different reticules and scope combo's on the market.

I missed a bear @ 300 yards messing with the scope power believe me it's not "weak" and it's not brain surgery, Sh!t happens!

If it works for you use it!!!

I can go to 1200 yards and never mess with the knobs or power setting and when its on a slope still no need to crank on any thing! but this system also has its down falls!

You say your looking for a better way, more accurate!
but you are settling for set points in a changing world.
it will work as well as any set point, on any scope and might even save you some time, then again it might cost you your animal!

The shorter the distance the better it will work for you, when you out grow it or miss or want a better way again you will be back to square one.

Have you verified the power changes? how much will it change if your off the true power by a smidgon?

I think it will work better for big game than for PD's
Some scopes change POI with a power change have you checked yours?

It's all fun and games untill you miss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
CAM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I'm willing to give it a try. Hopefully I won't lose the darned critter, but there are a few to take its place.

Can you email your spreadsheet to me, please? I'll try it out at my next shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be happy to share my spreadsheet with you but I will need to know what power your scope reads 3.6 mil-dots at. I can modify the spreadsheet to your scope. All you will need to do is input your drop at the various ranges. Send me your email address, mine is: [email protected]

[ QUOTE ]

Some of us live in the mountains! what good is your chart for 800 yards with 30 deg slope?? or maybe go from 6K to 10K hunting elk?? or 80deg to 30deg?? First light or neer dark, Sun popping over the horizon, you get the point!

[/ QUOTE ]
Slope, temp, altitude are all changes to the bullet drop. You could have a chart for 30 degrees up and 30 degree down, etc., etc.
[ QUOTE ]
Your not the first one to try every possibly way to have the right dot or mark or click or better mouse trap, thats why there are so many different reticules and scope combo's on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why asked on here if anybody tried this approach and what were the results and or remarks?
[ QUOTE ]

Have you verified the power changes? how much will it change if your off the true power by a smidgon?

[/ QUOTE ]Obviouly you will have to start with a good scope. If you look at the first chart you see that there isn't much of change from one power to the next so the power setting isn't that critical. Plus I will need to verify these settings and my actual drop at the range.

{Quote] by SamSpade
Slope, temp, altitude are all changes to the bullet drop. You could have a chart for 30 degrees up and 30 degree down, etc., etc. [ QUOTE ]

To cover all of the possiable angles your going to need to carry a prety thick Note Book....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SamSpade
Thats what I'm getting at the one chart will not work.
you can build a chart for what you think will happen and then build one for all senarios. how dose your modifid chart handle these senarios? you done away with the drop info and are only taking the power and dot info.

It is not very friendly to change or adjustment you really don't know from your chart what drop your using in the field. don't get me wrong I've done the same things even with a Biplex. I'm not a big fan of mil-dots my brain don't work that way, I use MOA thats it! My scope is in MOA for clicks and reticule is in 2MOA spacing. nomater what I can look up or run the info and the data says 7.25MOA I can adjust between the 6MOA mark and the 8MOA mark very easy!

I sent you a email- I'm computer challanged and some times I come across rough, I don't want to argue just help save you some time or frustration. in the end you need to find the fault with your plan to move forward. or find out it works great for you and use it. Time will tell.

CAM

[ QUOTE ]
{Quote] by SamSpade
Slope, temp, altitude are all changes to the bullet drop. You could have a chart for 30 degrees up and 30 degree down, etc., etc. [ QUOTE ]

To cover all of the possiable angles your going to need to carry a prety thick Note Book....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot ..... Where do YOU get the dial in correction from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cam,

Good suggestions to add the columns for drop, clicks just as a backup!

I am not looking for this as an exact science, as we say in the computer world, it is "I hope it works" science! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sam

K.I.S.S I'm all for useing dots,hashes or whatever for figureing out holdovers but adjusting the power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Now if your setting the power to have the mill.dots set to MOA than it might be easy enough to use ...but still limited in the range.For me much past 750 yards,dialing is more consistant.
The big advantage to mill-dots or other reticles is their fast target acquisition,if you have to turn a knob it may as well be the elivation knob and leave the power setting fixed!
But hey if it works for you have at it,by the way it sounds like your system is a lot like the Hawk system??

If you use the Mil Dots and fine tune your agjustments with turrets,in cojunction with an ACI then you have the best method of useing the mill dots for small targets and you want need a Billion charts for differrent angles.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mach v,
Yes I think my concept is very similar to the Hawk system, the Leupold B & C and the Burris Mil-Dot Ballistic Plex. I think my concept is more adaptable to your individual rifle though. The problem I see with the Leupold and the Burris is that the dot or hash spacing is not equal so that makes it not adaptable??
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.