Using lube while seating bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tlk, Mar 17, 2010.

1. tlk

tlk Well-Known Member

Was doing some reloadin gprocess review the other day and started thinkng about placing a smear of Imperial case sizing wax on the bullet or case mouth when seating. Noticed that Glen Zedicker (sp) suggested this in his book.

What are the facts about this practice vs leaving the inside of the case and bullet unlubed? What are your processes and what have you seen as far as results before and after?

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I don't use imperial wax for anything. Just haven't gotten around to it.....

However, I am always leary about the potential for lubes getting in contact with powder. It doesn't seem like a good thing to happen.

If shooting the loads within hours I don't think lube on powder would make 'that much' difference. However if loads were to be used next season.......not good....

Proper, consistent neck tension or friction, if you will, can be achieved with no lube used during sizing or seating. If I lube for sizing its only with graphite.

I run a nylon brush into the case mouth with a drill motor and see no need for lube on the inside of the neck.....

Just my 2 cents.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

No need for lube IMO. You can reduce neck tension down to nothing if you want by using bushing dies or Lee collet die. And as mentioned, I wouldn't want to risk contaminating the powder.
    -Mark