used Weatherby MkV

BigA1976

Hey guys,I found a Weatherby mark v synthetic in .270 Weatherby Mag in a local gun store. It is used,an older rifle..don't know how old...in decent shape just needs good cleaning. He wants $450 For it..in know new they start around $1500. What y'all think about giving $450 for it???

Hey guys,I found a Weatherby mark v synthetic in .270 Weatherby Mag in a local gun store. It is used,an older rifle..don't know how old...in decent shape just needs good cleaning. He wants $450 For it..in know new they start around $1500. What y'all think about giving $450 for it???

Get it! If you don't keep I know someone who will, me!

Big, $450 sounds too good to be true, see if they have a bore scope and scope the barrel. If it is in good shape all around, $450 is a steal. I found one locally on Backpage for $600, after scoping the barrel I bought it. Had the tupperware stock which I replaced with a bedded B&C Medalist. After a trigger job it is shooting far better than I expected. Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks man...I think he just doesn't know what he has,but I'll do what you advise...about to go by there now,thanks a bunch brother.

That is a good platform for a custom build. If the barrel is shot-out or won't shoot, you still have a good action and stock to build off of for $450. The MK-V triggers seem to be hit-or-miss as to whether they're adjustable or junk. My Accumark's trigger was a *** that was sloppy and had more creep than any trigger I've ever shot before. It wouldn't adjust any better, so my smith recommended a swap. I ended up swapping the whole gun because it was a piece.

Apparantly mine was the one built on a Friday afternoon out of the junk parts bin... Because that whole gun was a turd. Glad it's gone.

Just get it. I'll buy it from you regardless.
I don't even want another MK-V, but for $450, hell, I'll buy it from you... LOL

A MK-V will make a hell of a custom rifle. If I had not been so hell-bent on trading my .257 Wby, I would have just rebarreled it. But I was so sick of that particular rifle, I was just ready to be rid of it. I even gave them back the original box and paperwork when I bought it new from that store back in 2008.

Look close and make sure its a MK5...some guys just see Weatherby and think its a MK5, so the gun store owner might actually be selling a Vanguard...

Look close and make sure its a MK5...some guys just see Weatherby and think its a MK5, so the gun store owner might actually be selling a Vanguard...
I yes, please make sure it has the 9 or 6 bolt lugs not 2.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.