Update on my latest long range project...(454 Casull)

Just a quick brag post on my "backup" gun for elk hunting. I posted a thread awhile back about using a pistol in tight spaces. A scenario where you're humping along in a gully or timber with your rifle slung up, and you're surprised by a herd of ungulates.

FA 454 Casull, 4 3/4" barrel. Had it for a couple decades, but only recently started thinking about it as anything but a party trick at the range and/or "stick it against the fur" bear gun. Got a deal on the Vortex Venom, and decided to see what I could do with it.
View attachment 132289

300 gr XTP MAG, meandering along at 1600 fps...
View attachment 132291

Three shots into about 4.5" at 98 yds. Kneeling, offhand.

It's really a bit surprising what kind of performance I'm getting out of a 3.5 lb wheel gun with a stubby barrel. When zeroed at 20 yds, this load only has ± 2" of drop out to ~120 yds, and at 150 yds, it's still carrying the speed and energy that a long barreled 44 mag has at the muzzle (not that I'd ever shoot at game that far).

Anyway, not the typical "long range" topic around here, but I'm sure having fun with it. Still need to do a little load tweaking, but she's already working out better than I'd imagined.

Nice! - I'm not sure what type of holster you sport, but I recently purchased a Kenai Holster manufactured by Gunfighters Inc. It's the most comfortable and adjustable chest holster I ever purchased. I highly recommend anyone who sports a sidearm while hunting/or hiking to check them out.

I have the short-barreled Ruger Alaskan 454. Love it. I hunt in bear country, not GRiZ, but black Bear and I have had one get ****y with me three years ago while turkey hunting.
We also have a healthy population of Cougar in the entire state.
Great backup gun when I'm elk, deer hunting in the Mountains.
I like being able to shoot a 45 colt rounds out of it as well.
Like BLC3128, I also bought the Kenai chest holster from gunfighter inc. Phenomenal way to carry the gun. It also fits my 7/2 inch barrel the Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.
I also have a Chest Rig bag from Hillpeoplegear.com if I have a need to conceal it for some reason.

Nice! - I'm not sure what type of holster you sport, but I recently purchased a Kenai Holster manufactured by Gunfighters Inc. It's the most comfortable and adjustable chest holster I ever purchased. I highly recommend anyone who sports a sidearm while hunting/or hiking to check them out.

We've a pair of those holsters for Ruger Mark series 22 semi-autos.....nice holsters, and good folks to work with. I went with a Galco Kodak for my hunting rig, leather and soft nylon straps......very quiet for hunting. The Gunfighters Inc. Kenai....is a little noisy to suit me! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.