Universal Neck Sizer Die

Engineering101

I have a universal deprimer from Lee. It works on everything I have from 223 to 338. All you have to change is the shell holder to deprime any case be it rifle or pistol.

Not quite as "universal" since it requires extra parts (mandrels) but nevertheless very cool is my universal neck expander from 21st Century Shooting. It is a die that holds interchangeable mandrels of different diameters that then can expand a neck for the desired neck tension. I have mandrels for all my calibers that are 0.001" and 0.002" under bullet diameter. Of course, the neck has to first be shrunk to an inside diameter less than the mandrel for the mandrel to engage the neck.

That is the step in the process where there is something missing, the universal neck sizer to shrink the neck diameter prior to expanding doesn't appear to exist - or does it? All that would be required is a short fat die that would hold neck bushings in any of the various diameters. Redding sells these bushings for use in their Type S neck sizer dies. When I say short and fat, this die would have to let any case be it long or short, fat or thin reach the neck bushing. I'm thinking a Type S neck sizer die for a short fat case, like say a 300 WSM might come close to what I'm talking about. With the right neck bushings such a die should be almost a universal neck sizer. It wouldn't work on a 223 and similar really short cartridges as they are too short but it should work with most other cartridges. You would have to set the length to the bushing (by screwing the die in and out) depending on the cartridge you were resizing and that might be a pain in the butt - but is seems like it would be doable.

So buy yourself such a die and a selection of appropriate neck sizer bushings and you should be able to neck size everything for which you load without excess work hardening of the brass from overdoing the shrink on the neck. And there are savings to be had in NOT buying a neck sizer die for every cartridge you load.

Of course, if you want to be able to full length resize your brass on occasion, you gotta buy a die for every cartridge.

Anybody see anything I'm missing here?

You're missing body support.
If you try a relatively undersize cartridge with a 'universal' die (Something like a 243win in a WSM die), please report back on the runout results..

Mike - you are correct, that normally would be an issue. However, I have an answer for that problem. It is called the Hornady concentricity checker/fixer. I have found it will take crappy bent ammo and get it straight to within 0.001" in about 2 seconds. Said ammo will then shoot 0.5MOA (which is about as good as I can shoot). I have done this with hundreds of rounds in every caliber from 22 to 338 so I have become a believer. I will report back on how this all works out. Haven't bought any hardware yet so it will be a while.

Just a question? Do you only neck size? What happens after a few firings and you need to bump the shoulder back? This is the reason I have begun to use a FL bushing die. My process is almost the same as yours but use the FL die to size the neck and make sure the shoulder is sized the same every time for every case.

cahunter

I have been FL resizing most of the time. Now I'm going to FL resize every now and then if required and just neck size the rest of the time.

I got into this whole thing when I noticed that my off the shelf Lee 6.5X300WSM FL die was shrinking the neck to 0.278 resulting in my having to anneal after every resizing! Then I got to checking the rest of my dies. While not near as bad as the 6.5WSM die, they still are way over doing it.

That lead to the idea of a universal neck sizer - thus avoiding $75 each for a bunch of dies. So, update - I did just buy a 300 WSM Type S die and a 0.290 bushing to use on the 6.5WSM. It won't be a true test of the universalness of this idea as there will be case body support in this instance but I will also give it a try on my 260 Rem brass to see how it does even though the 260 is not a very fat case and about 0.050" shorter at the neck shoulder junction than the 300 WSM.

918v

On Midway USA, regular bushings are $16. The titanium nitride are $27. The Lee neck sizers are $24. Looks like you have a point. I hate it when common sense messes up having fun. Oh, well.

I did figure out a way to make my new die more "universal". Cut off some of the die so it can handle shorter cases like the 223. Need to balance shortening the die with having it long enough for the longer cases like the RUMs. Might need 2 die bodies, one long and one short.

918v

On Midway USA, regular bushings are $16. The titanium nitride are $27. The Lee neck sizers are $24. Looks like you have a point. I hate it when common sense messes up having fun. Oh, well.

I did figure out a way to make my new die more "universal". Cut off some of the die so it can handle shorter cases like the 223. Need to balance shortening the die with having it long enough for the longer cases like the RUMs. Might need 2 die bodies, one long and one short.

Not to mention the LCND produces concentric necks and you can buy undersized decapping rods in .001" increments for $6 a piece to have total control over neck tension.

918v

hornady neck sizer die - MidwayUSA

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.