Unique Reloading Issue, Ruger American 270 Win

Reloader222

Don't take this the wrong way but masking tape would not fix the problem when the OP could not get the bolt closed on a full length resized case.

A fired case from the same rifle would rechamber without effort, and after full length resized it would not chamber.

I bought a .270 right after I got out of the service in 1973 and my RCBS FL die worked fine. My uncle had a custom .270 made in Czechoslovakia. And "his" fired cases sized in my RCBS full length die would not fit. I brought his rifle home and ended up buying another shell holder and lapping .005 off the top to get the cases to chamber.

Below is a good illustration of what happens when full length resizing and the effects on a fired case. And even a simple Wilson case gauge would have told the OP what the problem was with cartridge headspace. Also only two case gauges I know of also check case diameter. I load for three different AR15 rifles and use a JP Enterprize case gauge to check my resized cases and loaded rounds. This gauge is made with a finish reamer and also checks case diameter, and Wilson and Dillon gauges do not.

wm05ArY.gif

Exactly what I was trying to say,,, great post with this picture .. most reloaders never know this, about full length sizing.

The first thing you need to do when you run into issues like this is get a measuring tool like the RCBS case gauge or a Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment headspace tool. Then you'll know how much you need to move.

The problem is typically with the shoulder and it's easy to prove with the right tools. Remember that the neck expander is often the culprit as it can pull the shoulder if the neck isn't lubed.

I've had to take as much as .020" off a shell holder to be able to push the shoulder back where it belongs. This is a common issue when dealing with milsurp brass. Some of those machine guns have huge chambers and the brass is thicker and springs back when sized.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts