Uneven resistance adjusting turret

Inner10er

Just bought me a used Meopta Meostar R1 4-16x44 with beautiful optics, but I noticed uneven resistance when adjusting the elevation tower. Seems like the turret gives some more resistance at a specific part of each rotation. Havent been able to check if it tracks ok. Is this a wellknown (and normal) behavior with some scopes, or should I send it back?

Last edited:
IMO, non-linear variations is turret resistance should be checked out, particularly for high demand long range use. I have owned three scopes(two Leupold Mk4's, and a Vortex AMG) over the years that ultimately failed after initially exhibiting this effect. In some cases it may be due to incorrect turret tightening following removal/replacement after zero stop adjustments. I have seen this with some NF scopes where the turret made contact with the scope body when unevenly mounted, but corrected when properly re-set. On a new scope, this may be due to lubricant settling and will dissapear with a few full-range turret cycles. I would certainly do a tall test, "and" contact the manufacturer to inquire of the uneven resistance to get their explanation of this effect. I would not expect this from a premium scope.

Don't think this scope has a zero stop adjustment. The scope is some years old, so I dont think it is a lubricant related problem. My concern is that the turret has been bent, with result of incorrect dialing - one click is not necessary one click any more... :(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.