Understanding G7 turrets

MOOSE39465

Not much longer and my stock will be ready and I can send my parts to a smith and have my rifle built. After my new rifle is built I will start my load development trying to find the most accurate load for my rifle. Once I find what load shoots the best out of my rifle then that load will never be changed. Having said all of that my question for you guys is optics selection. I really like the looks of the new Vortex HS LR 4 x 16 x 50 with a custom turret to match my load selection. Using the G7 ballistics chart will it be possible for me to simply get a true yardage reading from my range finder and set my turret for that yardage and make a clean shot? Maybe you guys can help me with this so I can finally get past choosing optics.

Thanks,
Tony

Do you think that you would be comfortable w/ 1/2 MOA adjustments?
I have a couple of 1/3's and actually really like that. I don't know what to think of 1/2.. Might not be a big deal, but I don't know. It seems like it might be a little coarse. That also explains the 24 MOA / revolution. 20 gets me farther than I would normally be comfortable wo/ using my PDA.

BH hunter you make a good point and 1/2 MOA could be a poor choice for long range. I have looked at the Vortex PST FFP EBR-1 MOA and might decide to go that route. I would like to modify the scope to make it user friendly in the hunting situations both close and far. One being a custom turret match to a certain load. The other being a shorter windage knob and dust cover like the HS LR. Im not going to be dialing in windage when I can just hold off using the MOA marks. I like the idea of having FFP because my shots will very from 50 yards out 500 yards. I can crank the magnifacation you or down without changing my point of impact.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.