Ultimate Remington Model 7

Gunnersaw1

I have a Remington Model 7 .300 SAUM. I really like the way it comes up to my shoulder. It just seems to fit me well. My goal is to have an Elk rifle that I can carry around and shoot Elk up to 600 yds. So I have decided to take this Model 7 and see how much I can do with it. I did bed the action and adjust the trigger to 42 oz..I reload with Remington and Norma brass. So far I have had the best luck with RL 19 and 168gr Bergers, but they dont fit in the magazine. The first thing I want to change is the stock -----I have been looking at HS Precsion and Mcmillan,not a lot of choices for the M7 and I dont want wood.

Before I purchase the stock I have to decide if I am going to rebarrel. I want this to stay a Model 7 type rifle.
I dont mind making the rifle a little heavier just not longer.

Thinking about a heavy contour barrel.
I know you could get more velocity with a longer one but I would like it to stay more compact. I have been looking at what the Specialty Pistols have been doing with 14 to 18 in barrels and they seem to do pretty good. XP 100 and Model 7 actions are basically the same. I just want one with a rifle stock, a Harris bipod, and a 20 or 22 in barrel.
I would really like some input on these thoughts.

Has anyone built a rifle that has a 20 or 22" barrel on it? The Remington 700 LTR or SPS Tactical I guess is similar. I guess the LTR comes in 300 SAUM, maybe that would be easier.

your gonna be limiting your velocity potential with the shorter barrel , If you can get 2800fps or so out if a 180gr bullet with that short of a barrel then I'd say it would work fine for elk at 600yds if you pic your shots.

That action is a bit shrtter than the Short action Rem 700 so your gonna be limited to what kind of bullets you can feed from the mag with , you can have a bigger mag box installed and that will help some.

The heavier barrel will definatly help with holding the gun steady and help with keeping the groups from walking after 3 shots. Check out Manner's stocks , he may be able to get you a stock for the M-7 ,also Lone Wolf makes some nice one and I'm almost positive they inlet for the M-7 , both of these stock are as well built probably better than the McMillan and you won't have to deal with the stupid run around trying to get your stock out of Arizona

My custom model 7

I have a custom built mod 7 in 7-08AI. It has a 22 inch barrel in #3 taper with a 10 twist. Jewel trigger set at 2lbs. I haven't shot anything bigger than 140 Nosler BT and accubond. These get about 3000 fps. Should be able to get about 2800 fps out of a 160 accubond. But I think that falls a little short of a 600 yd elk load. Do think it is adequate for 600 yd auodad sheep which is more my target game.

My rifle weights about 8 lbs all up with 3-9 leupd scope. I find the rifle very light and handy to carry all day. Won't want it any lighter or shorter. The accuracy is nothing short of great ~1/3 moa. Have shot many three shot groups with all shots touching. Hard to beat that in such a light rifle. Almost no recoil. By far my best moderate range hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Gunner, i'm also one of those guys that doesn't like long guns so i built a long range hunting gun on a mod 700 action. a couple of things are a little different with mine. first the barrel is finished at 29" but the entire gun is 40" from the recoil pad to the end of the muzzle brake. mine's a little on the heavy side because i made it with long range shooting my main priority, but it could be made considerably lighter.

Rem 7

Gunner, i'm also one of those guys that doesn't like long guns so i built a long range hunting gun on a mod 700 action. a couple of things are a little different with mine. first the barrel is finished at 29" but the entire gun is 40" from the recoil pad to the end of the muzzle brake. mine's a little on the heavy side because i made it with long range shooting my main priority, but it could be made considerably lighter.

Sound like a bull-puppy.
Don't stop now--tell us more

The reason I have the limit of 600 yards is because that is how long we can practice at. The range we use has a very good setup. You can shoot 100, 200, 300, 600 yards.
Thanks for the input guys.

I have an LTR in 300 SAUM and am pushing the 180 Ballistic Tip to an AV of 2814 fps using 62.0 grains of IMR4350 in Rem brass and lit by a Win large mag primer.......that's out of a 20" barrel.

Can't see putting a heavier barrel on a magnum Model 7.....they already have the Remington magnum contour barrel......

I have a Model 7 in 7 SAUM in an HS Precision stock......I had to open the barrel channel for the mag contour barrel and it fits like a glove!! Don't think you can get too much heavier with the contour and still use the HS stock......

Just an FYI on barrel length and velocity...I'm running a APS built XP-100 w/ 17" barrel that is chambered in 7mm-270WSM. 162gr A-Max's are going 2825fps w/ 63.5gr H4831SC.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts