Ultimate Hunting Rifle

For the money and the accuracy, I really have liked the Sako TRG-S set up in the Lazzeroni calibers. Good action, decent (Stoeger) barrels. They seem to improve with truing and bedding, but my Firebird puts up very acceptable long range performance pretty much out of the box.

A carbon barrel a la Christensen is an obvious upgrade... they did a lot with the TRG-S.

The TRG-S also came in a .338 Lapua, if you can find them.

And they all retailed for $700! Put a Sightron mildot on it, and you're ready to burn a couple of thousand rounds practicing for that 800 yard shot on a trophy (don't forget that part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

OK straight answers...

you said 800 yards and elk... and you mentioned cost... and it seems weight is a bit of concern...

forget the Lazz.. the brass is outrageous and $$ is a factor...

the carbon barrels also get a little pricy as well...

you are gonna need heavy bullets for 800 yard Elk... so now you are talking 190 gr + and you are gonna need 1000-1200 ft. lbs to do it effectivly...

so you walked youself out of the WSM ... but you still don't need the RUM.... narrowing your choices down quite a bit...

answer is simple....

Rem 700 Long Action...

#6 fluted broughton 10 twist 26" barrel ( I prefer a break but you may not )

McMillan Stock ( Sako Varminter or HTG )

teflon coated in a OD green or Milspec OD green ( dull colors )

your caliber... 300 Win Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.