Ultimate 6.5 for Hunting, is there anything better?

Just got my 6.5-300 Weatherby build done.

After Chronograph and a little load development, the results are outstanding.

143 Gr ELD-X flys along at 3550-3600 FPS. 140 GR bergers at 3500. .65 MOA group at 100 yards.

With these loads, BC of .625 for ELD-X, the ballistics are better than a 300 win mag and a lot of others that have much more recoil.

Don't really know why I will need anything else to hunt ELk or mule deer with.

If someone has any other loads for this caliber, feel free to chime in
The downside is going to be very short barrel life and no factory ammo.

As long as you're willing to accept those and the associated costs, no problem, just have fun.

That's very impressive shooting and even more impressive bullet performance. I guess that 143 is a way better killer than I would have thought..!!

The 210 Berger has a rather low bc for it's weight. So it's not really a full expression of what the 308 caliber could do ballistically. But forget about that. What you need is a better bc bullet for the 6.5. Then again judging from the video results maybe not.

I need to watch those videos again..!!

Thank you for your input.

The downside is going to be very short barrel life and no factory ammo.

As long as you're willing to accept those and the associated costs, no problem, just have fun.
Barrel life will be short, don't plan on shooting it for matches, just animals.

And I hand load all of it. Comes out to around 1.75 per round versus close to 4.50$

Barrel life will be short, don't plan on shooting it for matches, just animals.

And I hand load all of it. Comes out to around 1.75 per round versus close to 4.50$
If that's the case it should last you quite a while.

I have only one wildcat in the entire collection which is a 6.5LRM or 6.5-375 Ruger and I feel the same way about it. I gave it a lot of thought before going that route and decided it would be more than worth it even though I can't ever travel with it overseas unless I can get some custom head stamped brass made for it which would be ridiculously expensive.

I check zero, work up loads etc but other than that it will only be shot at game. I have lots of other great rifles to shoot at targets, varmints, predators etc.

That's very impressive shooting and even more impressive bullet performance. I guess that 143 is a way better killer than I would have thought..!!

The 210 Berger has a rather low bc for it's weight. So it's not really a full expression of what the 308 caliber could do ballistically. But forget about that. What you need is a better bc bullet for the 6.5. Then again judging from the video results maybe not.

Yes sir. I have wanted a 6.5-300 for about 10 years. Before Weatherby started chambering it. But life kind of pushed this rifle back for a bunch of different reasons.

I've always been a Weatherby fan, and will never side with the short action magnums because of the performance you can get with Weatherby cases. I did extensive research on all the aspects of this rifle.

A lot of people out there knock it by saying it won't group well, the recoil is too much, ammo is expensive and it burns barrels. I honestly set out to prove them wrong.

And I also wanted to share it here everyone else thinking of getting a gun built will at least give this caliber a chance. There wasn't or isn't anyone out there advocating it for whatever reason.

This rifle and all my rifles are built to kill animals ethically at maximum distances if need be. So I don't care about barrel life. Is a $400 barrel really worth worrying about when there is a 200" mule deer or 350" elk standing out at 800 yards and you know you can kill it? Hello no in my opinion. Is a 400$ barrel worth worrying about when there is a 170" whitetail at the same distance? Absolutely not.

I hate the barrel life argument. It never even comes into my planning. Like not getting mud terrain tires to use in the river bottoms and worrying about the tread not lasting long on the highway. I don't care, I want to be able to get out when I get stuck

Weatherby is the king as far as I'm concerned. Why shoot all the short action stuff when This round has the same ballistics at 400-500 yards?

Not a hard decision for me.

Not to burst your bubble...but the MAJORITY of those BOTW kills were with a Berger...and not a 6.5x284 either...

Here's the correct video...

Last edited:

you really got to get into the 220-230gr .30 projectiles to really get competitive ballistics coefficients to a 6.5 or 7mm magnum. The recoil that comes with those are not pleasant either.
The 6.5-300wby is a hell of a hunting chambering.
me personally I want to do a 7mm-300wm and shoot 180-195s, plentiful brass everywhere, top notch performer at distance, super easy wildcat to load for, and should get over 1000rds of barrel life.

you really got to get into the 220-230gr .30 projectiles to really get competitive ballistics coefficients to a 6.5 or 7mm magnum. The recoil that comes with those are not pleasant either.
The 6.5-300wby is a hell of a hunting chambering.
me personally I want to do a 7mm-300wm and shoot 180-195s, plentiful brass everywhere, top notch performer at distance, super easy wildcat to load for, and should get over 1000rds of barrel life.
I know they weren't with a Berger. 143 grain eldx. That's what my rifle is loaded with
unless they put the wrong bullets in the video. I'd say about 98% of them were killed with a 143 Grain Hornady ELD-X, BC .625

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts