U think U have problems?

Yep that's the one.

Then there's the guy that went to the hospital to have a leg removed.
As you would guess they took off the wrong leg.
Before the guy woke up, they discovered the mistake.
They then removed the the correct leg.

The poor fella couldn't even sue them.
He didn't have a leg to stand on!;)

Those are all true stories and you would be supprised how often things like that happen. My wife is an RN here in New Orleans at Tulane Medical Center , a very well respected surgery center that stays on top of the new and cutting edge stuff. She has told me about people that went in to have a shoulder scoped and had the wrong one done !! and still got charged !!! same thing with knees. She has told me about surgen that were half way through a belly surgery and relized they were doing the wrong thing.

She now works with uralogy , you can't imagine the things that can go wrong with having a penile implant !!

I have had both my knees scope ,one done twice one shoulder done and each time I use a marks alot and wright on both of them , the knee that gets cut gets a green marker that says "cut Here" and the other gets red marker with "wrong limb" marked on it and I have never had any doctor think I was being a smart ***.

in the state of Louisiana their is a cap on what you can sue a doctor for , he cuts off the wrong limb you get stuck with the max to sue him for then you have to sue every person in the room that was associated with the surgery , then sure the hospital itself for hiring incompatent people , then the boards that gave these people their rigts to opperate. its a tota SNAFU but the cap does help with keeping the doctors rates close to the relm of realistic due to the much cheaper liability insurance they pay

The problem now James is finding a doctor that actually speeks good english. I have worked around doctors now for 15 years and there are so many new doctors from other countries, they can't even talk among themselves, much less have a conversation with the patient to find out what their symptoms are. I've even witnessed doctors having inturpretures so they could understand patients that spoke better english than I can. Its easy to understand why there are so many mistakes being made by the doctors when you realize that they have no clue what you are saying. Seems to me they ought to add a few more english courses that are required if they want to work here.

I think the problem with law suits raising the cost of medical care is misplaced responsiblity. There are honest mistakes made by anyone, many doctors have done exactly what should have been done but, for a varitety of reasons having little or nothing to do with neglience, things have gone wrong. Massive law suits from such accidents should not be pursued.

On the other hand, those doctors who are in fact negligent or stupid should have to pay everything they might ever be worth to get them out of medicine if nothing else. If doctors themselves would do a better job of culling losers the remaining docs would have greatly reduced insurance costs. Sadly, it seems most docs will circle the wagons to protect a loser because they like him and don't want to deprive him of his living, no matter the cost to his victims.

Perhaps we, the people, are collectively guilty of stupidity by returning irrational verdicts and massive awards to some poor soul just because they had bad luck even tho the doc/hospital, etc. did no wrong. that's how Sen. John Edwards got filty rich, off the pain of others from docs who really didn't do wrong. And we actually pay those costs everytime we go to see our own doctor or hospital.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.