Two way radios

Cuatro

Any body have any good luck with quality two way radios?

If so what type are they? Range of use? Looking for some for large hunting lease to help stay in touch with others on the ranch.

If the pocket book will allow you - take a look at the Garmin Rhino GPS series. It will pinpoint your buddies location and has a built in radio and you can get a contour map that shows everyones location plus the lay of the land as well as land boundaries.

I have used many different syles and brands of 2 way radio's. They are basically line of sight and unless you really spend some money you are lucky to get one mile range where there is understanable communication.

I live with a radio at work - FM frequency and they are not too much better for distance but you get much better clarity. We have to use FM at work because we are around so much iron/steel/electrical and normal AM radios are nothing but snap and crackle.

Uniden fm band waterproof 1-5 watt.Trucks or boats w/25 watt units.Hand held 1-5 miles depending on mtns.across flats I have made it close to 10.Mine where about 250 pop for small type.Boat type much less $$ and reach much farther 5-10 mile common on flatter area.I have had them consistently out distance the rhino,but do not have gps,so one more piece of gear.

Thanks for yalls input. Will look into some units. I would like two mile use in trees but might be asking for a lot. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.