Twist rate for my new 7mm Krieger barrel

krumbum

I am putting a new Krieger barrel on my 7mm Weatherby Mag Mk V. I will be primarily shooting the Nosler 140 grain CT Ballistic Silvertip. Any recommendations on which twist rate to choose? The original Weatherby barrel had a 1 in 10" twist. Also, any thoughts about changing to 7mm STW when the barrel comes? Thanks for the help.

Get a 9 twist and I would go with the STW they shoot about 300 FPS faster then a 7 mag and are very accurate. I would also look at going with a 28 inch finish barrel but that is just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Krum,

The 1-10 is perfect for the 140 gr pills and under but I think you will find if you want to shoot long range with this rifle, the 160 class bullets will perform much better at longer ranges.

As stated already, 1-9" would be the best choice for this bullet. IT will also shoot the lighter bullets very accurately as well as the 175 class of hunting bullets.

The 7mm STW is a great round, Course, even a 7mm Rem Mag poperly loaded with easily match the 7mm Wby Mag and you get away from that **** double radiused shoulder and freebore.

The STW would serve you very well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
I am putting a new Krieger barrel on my 7mm Weatherby Mag Mk V. I will be primarily shooting the Nosler 140 grain CT Ballistic Silvertip. Any recommendations on which twist rate to choose? The original Weatherby barrel had a 1 in 10" twist. Also, any thoughts about changing to 7mm STW when the barrel comes? Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be fine with the 10" twist for the weatherby, or the STW if you choose to switch chambers..Or you can ask for a 9.5 twist which is also fairly standard, best thing is to ask the good folk at Krieger, and their experience with their barrels..

JR

I believe the early Weatherby 7 mm s had a twist rate of 1 in 12 and then in the mid 1960's they moved to a 1 in 10 in order to stablize the heavier bullets i.e 150 - 175 grns. For a while I shot a NIB 1969 mark V 7mm with 1 in 10 at chucks and crows using 115 and 120 HPs and corresponded with Wby concerning the difficulty of stabilizing these bullets and they were very clear about their decision to go to the faster twist. ( I was complaining about only getting 0.5MOA with 120 HP @ 3500 fps and finally just got a custom 25-06 that would go 0.2-0.3 MOA.) My experience is that the 1 in 10 is good for 140, 154, 160, 162HPBT and 168 SMK in both the orignal barrel and on a custom Ruger #1 with Shilen barrel. I only shoot 175 grs if forced to so have no opinion on their accuracy in that twist.

Thanks for the help everyone, but I ended up selling the Weatherby and am going to have a custom rifle built with the Krieger barrel on a Remington action and a McMillan stock. I don't really need the magnum, so I am planning on the 280 Remington Ackly improved. Looking forward to getting the rifle this summer. There are a couple of 280 Ackleys around here and they shoot great. I ended up ordering a 1 in 10 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts