Twist Question

dakor

Ok here we go again
grin.gif
As some of you know I am building a 375 H&H the barrel is on order from Lilja. Now here is the question I talked with Dan Lilja and told him what bullet weights I would be shooting and asked what kind of twist and grove he recommends for a 375 H&H. This is what he said a 6 grove with a 12 twist. Now I talked to my smith last night and told him the barrel should be on the way. He asked what kind of twist and grove I have and I told him 12 twist with a 6 grove. Then he asked what bullets I was going to shoot and I said the 260gr, 270gr, and the 300gr bullets. Then he said I probably should have went with the 10 twist if I was going to shoot the 270gr & 300gr bullets. Now here is the question will a 12 twist work with what I want to shoot?
shocked.gif

Don't have any experience with the H&H, but considering Dan Lilja likely has more barrel twist experience than your Smith, I would suggest either listening to Dan, or talking further with him on the subject. You'd be hard pressed to find someone better on the subject....

I agree with nighthunter264winmag!

I have yet to be steared wrong going with Mr. Liljas advice on any customers rifle project I have ever done.

I would say for a fact that the 1-12 will do what Lilja says it will.

Keep this in mind, my 338 Kahn has a 1-10 twist and it will stabilize bullets up to 350 gr driven to full velocities.

Do you think the short squatty( by comparision) 300 gr .375" needs the same fat twist?

Go with Lilja advice, it is not his opinion, it is fact taken from his experience. Let your smith worry about machining the barrel to shoot. From the factory, I guarantee that Lilja barrel will produce BR accuracy, it is a good test for a smith to see just how well he can build a rifle because if the barrel does not shoot, its not Dans fault.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

It seems to me that a 1-10 twist is not a big mistake, heavy bullets at modest velocities? LB

I consider my Smith to be one of the best in the country. He was thinking if I shoot the Higher BC bullets it might be a problem. I will see how the 12 twist does and go from there. Kirby that 338 small bore you are working on is for women and children.
grin.gif
Just kidding I hope you are laughing after you read that.
grin.gif
Let us know how that baby shoots sounds like a real long range canon!! I might have to get one of those some day.
wink.gif

Kirby the 260 Accubond is going to be my Long Range Elk, Deer, and Moose bullet. For Brown Bear up close the 270gr Barnes TSX will get the nod. I hope this rifle shoots well out to 500 yards but with a Lilja on it I dont think it will be a problem. That Big 338 of yours sounds like a power house and very accurate to. Good Luck with new rifle hope it does what you want it to do. Thanks everyone for your input!!

Dakor,

Have only had a chance to test one load using the 300 gr Sierra Matchking. Topped out at 110 gr H-50BMG for 3050 fps with e.s. in the single digit range.

Was hoping for a little more velocity but the Sierra bullets are really fat for compared to most 338 bullets.

Richard Graves is making me some true .3380" 300 and 350 gr Ultra Low Drag bullets to test out. Hoping for 3150 fps or so with the correct diameter bullet for my throat. If they shoot and I am sure they will, I will probably lengthen the throat to allow bullet seating to the base of the neck. This will free up nearly 10 gr capacity with this bullet.

I ordered the reamer with the throat I did becasue I wanted to be able to chamber big game rifles in this round using conventional big game bullets.

One interesting note. My fireforming loads using a 225 gr SPBT are clipping along at 3350 fps with just barely enough pressure to fully blow out the Wby shoulder to its new 35 degree angle.

I would imagine with a little tweeking and testign of powders, the 225 gr Accubond could easily be driven to an honest 3500 fps out of the 34.5" barrel.

Accuracy wise, the top load with the 300 gr Sierra is grouping in the 1.4" range ctc at 500 yards. Not bad for the first load through the rifle. Will get her down to 1" or under at that range I am sure with a little testing and with Richards Wildcat Bullets.

If youare shooting the higher B.C. bullets you may need a 1-10 possibly but I doubt it. The 1-12 should handle anything up to a 300 gr Sierrra SPBT.

Personally, my new favorite bullet in the .375 bore for shooting out to 300-400 yards is the 260 gr Accubond. Love this bullet.

Accurized a 375 RUM for a customer and developed a load with this bullet for him to hunt Montana Elk with. Driving it to 3100 fps with top loads and getting 1/2 moa grouping out to 200 yards and 3/4 out to 400 yards. Very impressive bullet adn shoots pretty flat for a 375.

I'll stick to my ladies rifle for long range shooting though, do not want to toughen up my shoulder to much with those manly rifles.
grin.gif
!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dakor,

Let us all know how your 375 works out and shoots for you. I would be interested to see how a 300 gr pill out of the H&H would shoot at 500 yards.

It would certainly land with plenty of snort for most any job. I have found the old H&H to be amazingly accurate and consistant, often shooting different weight bullets to same point of impact at 100 yards.

Let us know how your new monster runs after your smiths gets it back to you. I bet it will be a screamer of a big game rifle.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.