Twist for 7mm? 175smk and 160AB

Coyboy

I'm ordering barrels for some projects, and was thinking a 1-9 twist should cover both of these bullets?

Or is a 1-9 marginal with the 175 smk?

Will be a 280AI 3 groove Pac-Nor #5.

Thanks for any input, Jim.

9 twist will work fine. Have had 4 7mm barrels with 9 twist and they all shot the 180 grain Bergers just fine. The 7mm sierra match king won't have any problems. My first pac-nor barrel i have recieved is a 3 groove super match and all I have to say is no copper fouling and great accuracy. They are a good barrel for the money.

a 9.5 would probably be OK but you're starting to push your luck with the 175's.a 10 will work with the 160's. if you want a special twist, talk to the barrel makers that cut the rifling.they can make almost any twist you want.

Stick with a 9 twist. 140's are for velocity freaks!
Heavy = Accurate.

The 3500 & 3600 fps looks great on paper but won't look good on paper! (Targets that is!)

Try the 176 cauterucio, you will love it.

Do a search on that bullet, it has a .750 BC.

I dont know if I'd use it on elk, but deer or smaller heck yea!

Good Luck!

I have 7 wby with a 9.25 twist and the 160 & 162/168 match bullets are just a shade better than the 175 - not very much but just a tiny bit. I think with the 9.0 you will be just right.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.