7mm Twist

Veritas

I was invited to go Antilope hunting this fall. Now I am not into this but it gives me an excuse to have a new gun made. I was thinking about a 280 Ackley with a 1x10 twist 26" do you think I could stabilize 120 grainers out of it. Or should I look at the 6.5-06 ackley. 257 Robert improved. So many choices.

I was invited to go Antilope hunting this fall. Now I am not into this but it gives me an excuse to have a new gun made. I was thinking about a 280 Ackley with a 1x10 twist 26" do you think I could stabilize 120 grainers out of it. Or should I look at the 6.5-06 ackley. 257 Robert improved. So many choices.

Go with a 1 in 9 twist and it will shoot 120s to 160s well in the 280 AI.

Also I would recomend a #4 or #5 lilja contour (or equal ) 26" barrel .

J E CUSTOM

Veritas,
Your twist rate selection has a lot to do with what other rifles you own. My 7-08AI wears a 22" #2 Shilen Stainless Match barrel with a 1:11 twist. When I called Shilen about the project and told them I would only be shooting bullets 140gr and lighter, they recommended the 11 twist for higher velocity and better accuracy potential. I use my 300WinMg for any game that a 140gr 7mm can't handle.
The 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 160gr. 7mm Weatherby Mags used to have a 10 twist, but they reportedly would not stabilize all 175gr bullets well.

Since I can easily get over 3000fps from my little 22" barrel and accuracy averages a hair under .5MOA, I couldn't be happier with my selection. Your desire for a 280AI with a 10 twist sounds good to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.