TV shows can't drop animals?

... stretching the range testing my own abilities and the abilities of my equipment and that added dimension really got me motivated again.

Agree with that. Started archery hunting at 13. Rifle hunting a year or two later. 10 yrs ago LRH added some spunk to my hunting, which I still pursue and enjoy.

Agree with that. Started archery hunting at 13. Rifle hunting a year or two later. 10 yrs ago LRH added some spunk to my hunting, which I still pursue and enjoy.
I got pretty serious about archery for a few years and got my accuracy up to a high level but after spending way too many hours over way too many years tracking lost deer for bow hunters I just never could convince myself to take it into the field.

Anyone who does it and does it well has my respect though.

I did a lot of prairie dog hunting while I still lived up in the Texas Panhandle and on my annual trips to North and South Dakota and that is something I definitely do miss.

If you ever lose that feeling it will be time to quit. If I'm just culling animals and/or filling the freezer it's about as exciting as a trip to the range to sight in.

The second I step out of the truck for an actual hunt though even if I'm only walking a few hundred yards to find my favorite tree to lean on while I watch my predator senses kick in, heart rate increases and I'm excited front to back, top to bottom.

I've killed plenty of trophy animals and a whole lot of meat animals but it's the totality of the experience that makes it all worthwhile.

I was pretty bored with it all until I started stretching the range testing my own abilities and the abilities of my equipment and that added dimension really got me motivated again.
Very well-said bud!

For me, the whole experience of just being in the woods (hunting, or not) is very spiritual...Maybe that's the Cherokee part of me. I love nature and enjoy nature. It gets me back to my roots, my being, and closer to God. It grounds me, when I need it. It calms me when I'm angry or stressed out. It eases my mind when I'm so frustrated I can't even think straight.

Very well-said bud!

For me, the whole experience of just being in the woods (hunting, or not) is very spiritual...Maybe that's the Cherokee part of me. I love nature and enjoy nature. It gets me back to my roots, my being, and closer to God. It grounds me, when I need it. It calms me when I'm angry or stressed out. It eases my mind when I'm so frustrated I can't even think straight.

Seems to me this discussion has turned to what are the best hunting shows instead if why so many animals run a long distance when shot. I think the real answer is poor shooting resulting in bad shot placement or bullets that are too tough for what is being shot. Based on my experience with deer and antelope size animals, I feel regular cooper and lead core bullets are plenty for any of these animals. Larger animals are generally much tougher and harder to bring down.

Many shows do not want the game to drop on camera, they are shooting so game get of camera so a clean follow up can be made, this is not all bad, if you've ever dumped a doe and had her screen for a few seconds before death it's something that should not make air.
They certainly do not want to show an animal flopping around either so a shot through the vitals placed to allow them to run out a little makes cleaner TV. A couple shows I know of that liked to drop them on camera also edit a lot of flopping or moving around after the shot. So there is a good reason to not pole axe them on camera.

We get quite a few summer tourists that travel to the area of Alaska where I live. Good salmon fishing. Around 35 years ago some tourists were parked along the side of the highway, standing alongside their motorhome, and taking pictures of a bull moose standing a short distance from the road. Moose season was open, and of course the first Alaskan hunter that drove by saw the commotion as well as the bull moose. He got out of his vehicle with his hunting rifle, stepped off the traveled road surface, and dumped the bull in short order. Now this created quite a bit of emotional trauma and hysteria for the poor tourists. The tourists had came to fish and see/photograph moose and other Alaskan wildlife. On the other hand, the locals see moose year round, but only get to shoot them during a 2-3 week hunting season. Shooting one next to the road where they can be retrieved so easily is a gift from God, because they're immense.

I heard that story retold a number of times that season/winter, associated with lots of smiles. It clearly did not hurt our tourism business too badly, as there's more tourists in the area now than ever.

Many shows do not want the game to drop on camera, they are shooting so game get of camera so a clean follow up can be made, this is not all bad, if you've ever dumped a doe and had her screen for a few seconds before death it's something that should not make air.
They certainly do not want to show an animal flopping around either so a shot through the vitals placed to allow them to run out a little makes cleaner TV. A couple shows I know of that liked to drop them on camera also edit a lot of flopping or moving around after the shot. So there is a good reason to not pole axe them on camera.

A number of years ago I remember watching "hunting" shows. Almost every single animal was taken with a spine shot, or at least attempted to be taken with one. It gave the great visual of animals dropping drt. Until they had to put 2-3 shots on one because someone couldn't hit the spinal cord at 300+.

My personal thoughts on this, is that 1) not every animal will react the same way every time you pull the trigger. And 2) most of the so-called "professionals" are not the greatest shots...But they look good on TV, and are personable, and can sell you all the bullcrap hunting stuff you'll never need. So they are there to mainly sell you on stupid random hunting products, more-so than they are there to shoot animals that have been let out of cages or chip-monitored by guides for years.

I've been hunting my whole life, but personally, I'm not a fan of hunting shows anymore. It used to be mostly hunting back in the day, but now-days they're just one giant infomercial trying to get you to buy crap that they get kick-backs from.
We call it the WHISPER Channel

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.