Turrets or drop cards under 500

snox801

Well title says it all. I've always just used a drop chart but can't help but think how nice the turrets would be so I ordered one for my .257 Roy. That got me thinking what do you guys prefer for 500-600 yards shot max. I'm thinking 6.5 creed specific. I feel anything past that is to dependent on altitude, temp and everything else so I will use my app. But I keep my creed shots to a 600 yards max using the hammer 124gr. Just wondering if turrets would be a easier way to do that.

Turrets (by yardage) will be specific to all environmental conditions. Turrets based on Ballistic app would be my suggestion as you could modify the app and dial as needed. This however takes time. A Roy will make it easier at 600 yards and under due to velocity but a drop chart that is accurate is time consuming and is still based on the day.

I say...go turret with app. At plus 300 yards you typically have time anyway.

Good luck,
Steve

For MOA of elk, the tape on the turret marked from zero to 800 yards in 25 yard increments works very well for my purpose.

image.jpeg

Ya right now I always use drop charts for these situations. But I ordered the Kenton turrets our to 600 for the Roy cause that's my limit. I'm thinking about those formmy creed to make it more simple and at the same 600 and under I thought it would work great. But I may stick with drop charts and dial moa.

Use a Lica 1600B rangefinder. I has some internal ballistic charts that align very well with my 300 WSM. I setup the rangefinder to display the "clicks" needed after it shows the range. This has proven to be very accurate (and quick) out to 500~600 yards. The output from the rangefinder is always within 1 click from the Applied Ballistics app I use.

I use this Turret made by Swarovski for hunting. Its spot on with my 6.5 Creedmoor

I use Dope chart for this NX8 for fine dialing on my .22 Creedmoor

For those ranges I have used a few methods.
- BDC reticles are close enough with a little Kentucky windage
- Tape on the turret which only works if the turret is big enough for it
- tape a drop chart on the side of the stock
- sight in for 200 or 300 yards and hold a bit high or low.

Preference, BDC for those ranges.

Yardage based turrets have been around forever and work well. However the best IMHO is a turret with both. So...… turret based on yards is a combination of the zero, the rifles data, and atmospheric conditions, minus slope angle. We can discuss slope further if you like. At any rate, this is fairly specific to your conditions in the field so there are limits. Turret tape is an excellent way to go vs a custom turret if you wish to consider that.

A standard MOA based turret is not specific. So in the field, you just have to get your data to dial your turret. This is best served from an app or a ballistic range finder. The draw back is takes little more time.

So, if you blend a turret with the yards specific to your rifle and moa ring you have both. So if you have dramatic enough changes in the field you don't have to mess with changing turrets. This would be my preference. Currently I run a sig 2400 so it's simply get the target range, it tells me the dial up, dial, shoot.

I do typically carry a couple dope charts in my pack in case of some weird gizmo failure. I can easily reticle estimate the range if under 600, I don't need a chart or wind meter to get wind velocity or dial data, I know that info in my head. So I have my bases covered generally speaking. I will also say, I have the dial up data in my head up to 700 usually. Past 700 the data changes by 1 moa per 100 so I'd rather use a chart or app past that.

I use this Turret made by Swarovski for hunting. Its spot on with my 6.5 Creedmoor

I use Dope chart for this NX8 for fine dialing on my .22 Creedmoor

This is exactly what I was thinking of using it for. Is that a custom turret or the bt they sell with it?. I actually had a swaro on my creed at first and was gonna have turrets made because it was a bit lighter. But ended up with a bushnell elite 6500 2-16. I've just been using my app and dialing moa for that but being I'm slowly moving to less range with it in hunting I was thinking turret would be quick. Anything over 5-600 yards I think to many factors come into play so I'll keep using my app. Or my Leica solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.