Turrets for nikon monarch ?

Most guy's know to do that, but on the outside chance of someone just getting into long range shooting, buying what you need once is better then being frustrated. Can't wait to see pics and read your review. I have got to get a custom turret for myself! I plan to put one on my .257 Wby, I just need to chrono the ammo I use.

Hello. I'm new to the forum, but I am always on here reading what everyone has to say. Great place for awesome advice. I was reading this thread about Nikon turrets, and I had to ask a question. I am looking to getting a Monarch 3 in 3-12 and am also considering the turrets for it. My question is, if you order the turrets and assuming they work, is there a need for the BDC reticle?? I mean since the turret is going to adjust the correct position for me, I assume the BDC would be irrelevant. What do you guys think?? Again thanks for your great advice.

I got a turret for my 3-12x42 and for my 4-16x50 Monarchs. Having done that, I do not recommend this route, unless your bullet / load will never change, and that you somehow have the same magically consistent atmospheric conditions every time you hunt or shoot.

The Nikon "spot on" store got my credit card flagged for fraud by posting multiple duplicate transactions. It took me 3 weeks to get a replacement credit card. It took intervention from Bart to get the matter resolved.

I no longer use the turrets, the whole exercise was a waste of time. it has been popularized on TV shows where the people making the video can afford to literally carry dozens of custom turrets and pick one suitable for the hunt conditions / video footage. Both of my scopes now have the standard turrets back on them. I have a drop chart taped to the left side of the rifle stock, and I can replace it under different atmospheric conditions for essentially nothing or 10c for a printed page if you want to split hairs.

Nothing is ever constant. Your rifle barrel performance changes with time, you may have to use a slightly different bullet due to shortages in the market or bullet rationalizing efforts like at Hornady. or someone introduces a new bullet that you "gotta have" and just like that your turret investment just went up in smoke.

Be a savvy consumer and recognize that the people pushing the custom turrets are the same people making them or selling them. Just stick with portable drop charts and regular turrets. keep your money for reloading supplies or the new barrel...

I still do not have a custom turret other then what is on my M-223 3-12 Rapid Action Turret. I can tell you from my experience with this turret, it shoots great! I'm talking hitting soda cans at 500 yards great. Nikon does have a new for 2013 MONARCH 3 4-16 that comes with an order form for a Custom Turret. I am a big fan of the BDC reticle and Spot On but have thought having both might be nice. For hunting the BDC is quick and accurate to use as long as you own a good rangefinder.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.