Turret travel per rotation - more or less??!!

stvnbrg

So im wondering if there is an advantage to having less MOA (or MRAD) of travel per revolution on your turrets. For example, vortex offers the razor HD with turrets in both 15 and 25 MOA per rotation. Wouldnt 25 be the obvious choice? Less spinning and more shooting! there must be an advantage to having less travel per rotation or they wouldn't offer it, and the ONLY reason i can possibly see is, the markings are closer together on the 25 MOA version as opposed to the 15. Can anyone share on this?

There are some advantages and disadvantages for each approach. A lot of it depends on how well the scope company puts things together. Having more elevation travel per rotation will get you to your desired setting faster due to less turning. The disadvantage comes from the click spacing being too close together so the user takes more time verifying the exact click he is on. The type of shooting should be taken into consideration as well. If you are a competitive shooter requiring rapid elevation changes and you prefer to dial instead of use reticle holds, then you need to weigh the pros and cons of the exact scope you are considering. But if you are a recreational shooter or don't have a need for speed, then maybe the closer click spacing isn't required or maybe you don't care if you take the time to verify the setting.

I've been using the Steiner Military optics in competition for over a year. These are great optics and are very reliable. The click spacing is close though and I have found myself having to take that extra second to verify. I'm reviewing the NF BEAST right now and am impressed with their method of getting maximum amount of travel from a single rotation of the elevation. The click spacing is near perfect. So this is why I said it depends on how the scope company puts things together.

Geb

Some scopes have more MOA or MIL per revolution but use coarser intervals, say 15MOA with 1/4 MOA clicks vs 24MOA per revolution but with 1/2 MOA clicks. In that case, speed goes to the 24MOA turret, while fine tuned adjustment goes to the "slower" turret. Which is better will depend on the size of the target you need/want to hit at long distance. If you are trying to hit a 1MOA target at 1000 yards, the 1/2 MOA click becomes challenging, since your dope for that distance might actually fall between your clicks, and that is an interval of slightly more than 5 inches, or half the size of the target, whichever way you want to think of it. For larger targets, it won't be as much of a handicap. On the other hand, the turret with 1/4 MOA clicks will need more turns to get on dope, but will have a finer solution on target. You can hold slightly high or low with a graduated reticle, of course, but hold-overs at long range are generally the less preferred method for making good shots. Read the review article on Huskemaw scopes on this site, and you will find a discussion of turret click value pros and cons that explains the argument very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.