Turret problem

El Matavenados

Hey all,
I just recently (in the past couple years) got into long range shooting and hunting. Last month, I went on my first hunt that had real opportunities for long range shots. I missed a 100yd shot at a cow elk. I believe I hit a twig on a bare tree, throwing the shot (from shooting sticks) off, missing completely. As I tried to figure out what happened, I discovered that my windage turret was off. Was it a full revolution plus 1 moa, or just 1 moa? Test fired, and found that it was just 1 moa. The next day, I looked through my scope (Vortex HS-T), and found that my focus ring was turned way out. It seems that it was making contact with my pack as I carried it by the sling, over my shoulder. This is a real problem for me, as I need to have confidence that when I need to make a quick shot, my scope won't be out of adjustment.

So my question: when hiking with rifle with a scope that does not have locking or covered turrets, how do you keep your turrets and other adjustments from being bumped or rubbed or otherwise messed up? I have a solution in mind, but want to see what creative alternatives you all might have found that work!

You can get a scope cover like the one pictured or make a hard cover out of PVC/ABS caps from the hardware store and hold them on with that small bungee cord stuff you find in the sewing section.
vtx_rac_surefit-cover_med_mounted-t.jpg
vtx_rac_surefit-cover_med_mounted-t.jpg

Thanks! The neoprene cover was the first solution that came to mind. Have you used these, and had a good experience with them?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts