Turned down brake 5/8-24: What muzzle OD? What brake?

fremont

300 PRC build. Want a brake which is entirely flush with the barrel. Assuming 5/8-24 threads and a minimum .725" OD (below), what are good candidates for a brake that can be turned down? Agree with the .725"?

Zse3dsA.jpg

Unsure. Was using it to provide a general reference point around the OD I'd need given brake candidates and the min. wall thickness I'd need post-turning.
You can have a little less shoulder than they show for a 5/8×24, but not a lot. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you already have your gun? If so what is the diameter of the muzzle? Are you trying to decide what barrel contour to go with?

Provide a little more info, and we can be more helpful. Also, you may be able to do a 9/16 thread as well. I wouldn't go to a 1/2×28 for a 30 cal.

Do you already have your gun? If so what is the diameter of the muzzle? Are you trying to decide what barrel contour to go with?
No, don't have components yet--in ordering mode. Trying to solve for both contour and brake. Somewhat chicken or egg. Since I want the brake flush to the barrel, I assumed I need to solve for the brake first (e.g., which ones can be turned; how much wall I need post-turning), then the contour would follow. I'm specifically trying to choose between Bartlein 3B (.700) and 4 (.750). Feeling like I need to go the #4 route given I want it all flush. 9/16 might work but I'd like to go with 5/8 (pushing me further towards thicker OD).

IdahoCTD knows what he is talking aboug, he makes brakes (Muzzlebrakes and more) and is who I recomend talking to so you can make a good choice. His brakes reduce recoil about as good as anything else out there, are priced well, and flat work.

Here is one of his turned down. 5/8×24 thread, 3 port lil beast brake on the end of a medium palma, OD od .820", .264 bore
20170505_140536.jpg

Here is another one, a 4 port baby beast on a .670" muzzle diameter with 1/2×28 thread, .277 bore
580258863.jpg

And here is my last one, a 5 port beast ti, muzzle diameter .730", 5/8×24, .338 bore. The taper doesn't look bad, but to have a flush fit with those muzzle diameters you may need to go down to 9/16 thread.
20191127_205533.jpg

I think if you want a good brake and are determined to have it the same diameter as your muzzle, you need to consider a carbon barrel.

Call Harrells, they will advise you on the barrel threads needed for the barrel profile and the size of brake. You will probably have to go with a radial brake because they are made in smaller diameters. If you go with the .700" barrel, I'm guessing you will need to go with a 9/16-32 instead of 5/8-24. It's a shallower cut because of the finer pitch. 9/16-32 leaves an untouched diameter of .5245" and 5/8-24 leaves an untouched diameter of .573"

Twisted barrels twisted brake. I have one on a 30 cal. I think it's smaller than 5/8 though. Have to check. It's turned down to about .675

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.