turn a 30-06 into a 26 nosler

johnhhernan

I have a question: Is it possible to purchase a 30-06 in remington model 700 or a savage and thread a 6.5mm match grade barrel onto it and then thread and chamber it in Nosler 26.

What do you guys think?

So I could build a 26 Nosler for about $800.00-$1000.00 and have it in a week or less or buy one for about $2500-$5000

Most Smiths have a longer lead time than a week. If you can find a barrel in stock it MIGHT happen but if not you looking at two months. If you do get a new rifle to use as a donor get one with a good stock. Not tupperware.

Nosler Patriot M48 26 Nosler Rifle No Reserve : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com ...I recommend this one, if you go this route...I like Nosler, have been a customer for years...I have no doubts they can put together a solid rifle...I have one ordered myself (M48 Custom in 280 AI), should get it next month.

Don't know anything about Montana Rifle Co.
26 Nosler, Montana Rifle Company Stainless w Brake : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
Nosler 26 , Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
26 Nosler, Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Last edited:
would stay away from Montana Rifle Company period. 9 years ago had them build a 6.5 brl and let them put it on a rifle that was a 300 win mag. they sent it back ready to shoot. i got it and you could not come close to closing the bolt. they had it 6 months. i then took it to a very good friend who is a gunsmith and he fixed it. he could not believe that this done this way. it is now a 300/6.5 . also the gun stayed in the house for 9 years out of the weather and taken care of (got busy and lost interest) now the brl has rust pits in alot of places, it is STAINLESS! talked to them and got all kind of excuses. learned my lesson, now it is PAC-NOR till i die.

would stay away from Montana Rifle Company period. 9 years ago had them build a 6.5 brl and let them put it on a rifle that was a 300 win mag. they sent it back ready to shoot. i got it and you could not come close to closing the bolt. they had it 6 months. i then took it to a very good friend who is a gunsmith and he fixed it. he could not believe that this done this way. it is now a 300/6.5 . also the gun stayed in the house for 9 years out of the weather and taken care of (got busy and lost interest) now the brl has rust pits in alot of places, it is STAINLESS! talked to them and got all kind of excuses. learned my lesson, now it is PAC-NOR till i die.
What people don't know about stainless steel....... The list of different grades available is longer than your arm. Some heat treatable and some not. Only a very few suitable for firearms applications. The same elements/properties that allow stainless to be heat treated for firearms applications are the same elements/properties that will allow it to rust. As for the mechanical problems, I can't speak to those because I didn't have it to diagnose. Any info pertaining to those issues is now second hand / speculation. But, I do know about stainless steels,,,,,,, much more than I wanted to when my quest began.

I would find a donor gun with the correct bolt face. Even if you were fortunate enough to find a contoured barrel blank (match grade),and did all the smithing yourself, I seriously doubt that you will be under the $1k mark by the time you finish. I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios, but somethings take more time and money than we like....

Best of luck with your projectgun)

-Mike

well thanks for all the knowledge and insight. i am working on it, i traded a 270 for a 300 WM traded that for a 300 RUM BDL deluxe=Free. Ordered a barrel blank $390, rented the the reamer $80.00, bought a bobby hart laminated stock with an aluminium bed $400 I'm at $870. I am going to send it in for cera-kote $250.00 So i'll be at $1070.00 Cheerios only a little soggy. i shot it, its fun, now I have to develop a load.

So the gun was $1070.00. i new it was do-able.

well thanks for all the knowledge and insight. i am working on it, i traded a 270 for a 300 WM traded that for a 300 RUM BDL deluxe=Free. Ordered a barrel blank $390, rented the the reamer $80.00, bought a bobby hart laminated stock with an aluminium bed $400 I'm at $870. I am going to send it in for cera-kote $250.00 So i'll be at $1070.00 Cheerios only a little soggy. i shot it, its fun, now I have to develop a load.

So the gun was $1070.00. i new it was do-able.

what was the original cost of the .270? Don't forget to add that in.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.