Tuning up junk remmy ammo?

threejones

I picked up a couple boxes of remmy factory 6.8SPC 115gr. otm yesterday. I got it mainly because is was on sale and I just wanted the brass. The remmy ammo is supposed to have pretty lousy accuracy, but ok brass(I'd tell you how it shot, but my barrel delivery got pushed back to next week) I don't shoot much factory ammo anymore, so this may be more common than I think. But upon inspection, most of the bullet tips aren't very square. The hollow pt. is round, but the cross section is off. I thought I might take a file and square the tips a little, but I'm just not sure if it'll make a difference. I thought that it might be the reason that the remmy ammo isn't very good. I know it's going to take some range time to figure it out for sure, but I was wondering if anyone could shed a little light on the subject for me while I wait.
Thanx
Cody

By open tip match they mean Sierra MatchKing. The MatchKing's tips are pretty much like that, think it has to do with the way they are made. Doesn't seem to effect accuracy in the ones I load. They do make a meplate (tip of bullet) uniformed to cure this. I don't think I would bother if you are just wanting the brass. Besides, they might surprise you with their accuracy. Only one way to find out.

By open tip match they mean Sierra MatchKing. The MatchKing's tips are pretty much like that, think it has to do with the way they are made. Doesn't seem to effect accuracy in the ones I load. They do make a meplate (tip of bullet) uniformed to cure this. I don't think I would bother if you are just wanting the brass. Besides, they might surprise you with their accuracy. Only one way to find out.
Yup, I think that's what I'll have to. I'm kinda suprised that Sierras would be so goofy looking. I've had good luck with Matchkings in other calibers. Maybe they don't take as much care when they're just turning out bulk ammo, or maybe I've just never looked all that close before. The guy at Bison Armory (where my barrel is coming from) specificly brought up the fact that the 6.8 remmy ammo doesn't usually group well, but that the brass was ok. I was just hoping for an easy fix for cheap ammo. Oh, well, thanx for the input.
Cody

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.