.243 junk

yeah, i've been shooting pd's for a long time but i have never really gotten serious. now that i have more free time, i want to get alot better at this stuff. i would like to stick to the same rig that i have now but if you guys (and girls) think i absolutely need to change, i'll certainly consider it.

right now i'm shooting a ruger m77 in .243 win with a leupold 4.5-18x50mm vari-x III. i'm usually shooting 70gr blitzkings but i shoot alot of factory ammo as well.

I'm not sure what the twist on that Ruger is, but I would try some of the 105 Amaxs. We consistantly hit within 6" of pd out past 1000 yds. We get an occasional hit as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Here is a five shot group at 200yds with the 105 gr amax. Two shots were after a cease fire.

95y6vl.jpg

The action is a Remington 722 with a Hart HV 1-9" twist barrel is 30" long standard ack imp chamber no neck turn. Leupold LR 8.5-25 Scope, Richards micro fit stock The load was 43 grs of RL-22 Lapua brass and 210 Match primers 105 gr A-Max seated .015" off the lands which gives me just over 3300fps. I used redding type s neck die with the comp seater. I did not sort these bullets. The same day I was shooting around three inch groups at 200yds with my .223 that usually shoots around 1/2 MOA in calm conditions. I was suprised to see the consistency with a fairly breezey cross wind. The 6mm is hard to beat for recoil paper punching and long range varmint hunting. Good luck guys.

Lance

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.