tumbling loaded ammo

trueblue

Can loaded ammo be tumbled in corn media for cleaning up old oxidized ammo ? Wondered if ther is a danger factor, or altering rifle powder properties inside the case.

I don't think it will change the powder burn rate; no different than shaking a half full can of powder. But it doesn't take an oxymoron to see the danger - point of bullet strikes primer, or side of a rim strikes primer. Is it worth the chance? Don't do it.

Gene,
I assumed there was a danger factor, ergo the question.
Thanks for your post.
Had read somewhere that someone had done it, and something just didn't seem right about that, so wanted to ask what others knew about it.

Following their reasoning, I'm assuming ammunition should not be shipped by truck either, since the vibration of the truck driving down the road will cause the powder to deteriorate. This would also hold true for gunpowder. The whole industry is unsafe!

I have done it but only a single round at a time.
They were old Ammo I wanted to clean up for my Cartridge collection.
It cleans the brass but dulls the bullet.
Mike

Tumbling them long enough to really do any polishing may not be a good idea. I do tumble loaded pistol ammo all the time, probably 100,000 rounds have been through my tumbler. I just run it for a couple of minutes to remove the sizing lube from the cases and thats all.

If a couple of minutes is changing the burn rate it does not show up over the chrono.

There is no way on this earth that a loaded round could develop enough speed inside a tumbler full of media to set off a primer, major manufacturers tumble loaded ammo all the time (for a few mins) with no apparent ill effects.

My rifle ammo that may sit for 6 months or so is handled with gloves on from the time it leaves the tumbler until it is in the ammo box, no oil on the cases, so oxidation over time. But I like shiny clean ammo:D

I posted the question because I have some older ammo that has oxidized and wanted to clean it up. I will just use steel wool. More time consuming thou.

I have done a bit of that in my life and i know a few others that have also done likewise and have never appeared to have any troubles and yet still had good accuracy..................

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.