Tubeguns any good?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Topshot, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

I have seen some nice Tube Guns built on Barnard actions and was wondering what the advantages there are with them in comparison to conventional stocked rifles?

They seem to make accurate long range target rifles. What is the effect of the tube?

2. gunman123

gunman123 Well-Known Member

It helps stiffen the action as well as providing modularity and adjustability.

3. Topshot

Topshot Well-Known Member

Interesting.

How is the Tube fitted that it can stiffen the action? Is the scope fitted to the action or to the Tube?

4. gunman123

gunman123 Well-Known Member

Actions flex under the stresses of the round going off.Theoretically a stiffer action can aid in accuracy.

It can be just screwed in through the scopemount to the action or screwed in the same way and epoxied in as well.

A radial recoil lug can be used also.This distributes the recoil force evenly over the front of the action.

5. stiles

stiles New Member

Tubeguns are popular in positional shooting cause of their fit and adjustability. It's all about the ergonomics.

6. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

+1 Stiles
    My favorite gun to shoot is a Tubb2000.
    If fits me personally with angle of recoil pad, a 7deg rifle cant(including trigger shoe), and 2-stage anschutz trigger.
    The big disadvantage, which negates any hunting use, is weight. Mine weighs 17lbs with NXS scope. A little more with Harris bipod, and rear mono-pod.

I don't find the gun to be any more accurate than a typical custom -off a bipod. But it can be shot off hand very accurately(from someone who drinks 5 fewer pots of coffee a day).