Try a free float or new upper?

OMG i wish i could shoot 100 yards (((OFF HAND))) and get INSIDE 1.5 inch 5 shot groups,,,, I would be the TOP SHOOTER at my gun club !!!!
And no less with with cheap steel-case Tula 55gr ammo... Holy crap !!!!

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but I had a witness. I'm also not affiliated with any company or their products. And neither I, nor my witness gain anything by lying, so there would be no point in exaggerating. Also, I'm not entirely happy with the 1.5" groups. For an off-hand group, yes, it's quite impressive, but overall performance on the bench, not so much. I haven't had a chance to sit down and shoot that rifle on the bench to test true performance. I'm hoping for sub-MOA, and prefer closer to 1/2 MOA.

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but I had a witness. I'm also not affiliated with any company or their products. And neither I, nor my witness gain anything by lying, so there would be no point in exaggerating. Also, I'm not entirely happy with the 1.5" groups. For an off-hand group, yes, it's quite impressive, but overall performance on the bench, not so much. I haven't had a chance to sit down and shoot that rifle on the bench to test true performance. I'm hoping for sub-MOA, and prefer closer to 1/2 MOA.
1.5 inch groups Benching is a whole diff story compared to off hand , i would have to wittiness that 1.5 off hand that to believe it... and i bet your going to say with iron sights next no less !!!!!

now 1.5" benched with irons i might believe !

1.5 inch groups Benching is a whole diff story compared to off hand , i would have to wittiness that 1.5 off hand that to believe it... and i bet your going to say with iron sights next no less !!!!!

now 1.5" benched with irons i might believe !

No, with a Vortex Spitfire 3x.

As for having to witness such a sight, I can completely understand the skepticism. It surprised both of us.

No, with a Vortex Spitfire 3x.

As for having to witness such a sight, I can completely understand the skepticism. It surprised both of us.
OK if you are being honest,,,, i suggest if you can do that even with a 3 x scope that you get a hold of vortex, white oak, lelja, rainier, blackhole ETC. Because they would love to sponsor you !

I know what it took for me to get a 5/8 group at 200 yards, benched, calm wind and a good 24 X scope and a high end AR ,,, your way out of my league !!!!!

And i am serious, no sarcasm !

OK if you are being honest,,,, i suggest if you can do that even with a 3 x scope that you get a hold of vortex, white oak, lelja, rainier, blackhole ETC. Because they would love to sponsor you !

I know what it took for me to get a 5/8 group at 200 yards, benched, calm wind and a good 24 X scope and a high end AR ,,, your way out of my league !!!!!

And i am serious, no sarcasm !

Yes, people lie online...ALOT! But read some of my posts and you will see I have no reason to. I am only here to help people. That's what internet forums are for.

I would say your 5/8 MOA group @200 is more impressive than my 1.5 MOA group at 100.

Yes, people lie online...ALOT! But read some of my posts and you will see I have no reason to. I am only here to help people. That's what internet forums are for.

I would say your 5/8 MOA group @200 is more impressive than my 1.5 MOA group at 100.

Not more impressive than your off hand ! I would be lucky to get an 8" group at 100 off hand !!!

Not more impressive than your off hand ! I would be lucky to get an 8" group at 100 off hand !!!

Aim small, miss small. The smaller your target is that you practice with, the more accurate you will become. The best way to practice your off-hand shooting is to shoot small targets. Get a piece of cardboard and stick on a few small 2" orange dots, and set it out at 100 yards and practice your off-hand shooting. Practice makes perfect.

I bought a Stag model 3 about 5 years ago during the ar buying craze after the election. There wasn't much selection at the time so it wasn't the ideal ar I was looking for. Long story short I wanted to use it for varmints and coyotes. I put a bipod on it and if you cant it right or left the group size opens up to about 2.5" and the poi shifts. If a gun doesn't shoot well I don't have much interest in it so I've shot about 150 rds through it and it sat in the safe for about the last 4 years.

So would I be better off trying to put a free float hand guard on it and see if that helps or just buy a new varmint upper that may offer better accuracy?

I'm surprised no one said anything, but canting the rifle opens up groups as it is. Its why some people like using bubble levels on scopes. free float quad rail, will assist with any harmonic disturbance which will usually shot up as random poi shift. To be honest id say go with a free float if precision is something you are looking for and try to pay attention to how level your rifle is on the bench or prone. See if that combo shrinks it down.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.