Free float handguards

Natman

I was searching for handguards and with all the selections am having trouble deciding. I want a carbine length free float tube. I don't need a lot of rails but enough for a bipod and sling attachment. Any advice or reviews on the hogue and Yankee hill brands. I was waiting on the local gun shops to get some Alexander Arms tubes in but my patience is running thin. I really need to get the glacial shields off before I can do any load testing.

Got the YHM customizale spectre on a carbine. it comes tapped for a bipod mount, or you can use one of the two rails to attach a picatinny bipod. No complaints about it.

I drilled and tapped my YHM full length tube for a sling and bi p. It works great, but I wish I had the shorter one or either the options above.

Troy extream battle rail, Larue rail, or DD rail. The knights are nice but the wrench cost more than the rail does which is rediculous. I like the troy because its has a small outside diamiter. The DD and the Larue are not much bigger. The LMT is the same as the Larue. What rifle do you have? I would suggest getting a longer rail at least 9".
Larue rail
guns0012.jpg

LMT rail
0034.jpg

Troy rail
002.jpg

I decided to order the YHM Specter Customizable. I really liked the round tube as well as the multiple places for picatinney attachments. Now how about an adjustable stock with a raised cheek weld area. Any thoughts on them.

The Magpul PRS is my favorite, it's not cheap, but it has adjustable length-of-pull and cheek riser height. I'd avoid the Mako with the adjustable cheek plate, I tried one a few weeks ago, and it seems to be more for CQC tactical use and not long range shooting (the riser was way too far back on the stock) The Magpul STS has a nice weld too, it's not adjustable, but it's half the PSR's price and it works great for yote hunting.
Cody

Father bought the CAA stock with cheek riser. Can't say I am a fan. PRS looks nice, especially with the monopod install DIY I saw, but I won't buy one until I buy a ridiculously heavy upper that would warrant it.

I looked at the magpul and looks like what I was envisioning. I'm really hoping to keep this rig light because of the walking I do. Plus the short carbine length will aid greatly in the woods where I live. Thanks for all the ideas.

Heres another for the YHM, I went with the smooth rifle length on my carbine,i like the quad rail on the front 2" but smooth for your hand or bag, and about 4" of barrel stick out. it fit like a glove, solid built,good design threads were nice and smooth on the barrel nut and the front cap.

+1 for the JP Enterprises handguard. Smaller than most, surprisingly rigid, well made, and only has rails where you want them. My has no rails but has a bipod which is just what I want.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts