Truing an action.

J E Custom

For those that didn't understand the steps and methods needed to true an action, here is a good Video that might help understand the time and number of steps it take to do a proper blueprint/truing job. some methods and tools used may be different than others use but the process and the precision that is important.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
JE,
Thank you! I've had this done numerous times. I had a rough idea what was done and why it is important, but this video was very enlightening. I now have even more respect for what smiths do for us lay people. Love how they shoot, but not something I'd ever attempt. Love this site and all you talented people!

Watched the video.
JE or others. What's your thought on him lapping the bolt in after already cutting the lug abutments?

Watched the video.
JE or others. What's your thought on him lapping the bolt in after already cutting the lug abutments?

After the bolt lugs and abutments are cut, even though they are very smooth I feel that lapping slightly to verify 100% contact, the finish also makes opening easier. This combined with a little graphite or Molly based lube (One or two drops) that are applied, treats the bare metal for many uses.

J E CUSTOM

He surfaced the lug abutments and the bolt face to make them true then he intentionally lapped the bolt in a cocked position. I think he needs to rethink his process.
I noticed he was lapping with the complete bolt and trigger in also. Also nothing pushing on the bolt face to ensure even pressure on the lugs.
Everyone has their own process and if it works for them then so be it.