Trophy Unit drawn

the blur

My Cow Elk gun has been a 7mm-08, or 6.5 CM. Killed many cow Elk. Even Cow Moose don't like the 6.5 CM with a bonded 140 bullet.
Finally drew a trophy Elk unit after 100 years of trying. I'll be within 300 yards for sure. I know Bull Elk are tough, so I'm 2nd guessing my 7mm-08 with a partition. and Elk tend to run uphill, while a Moose stands around waiting to be shot again.

I've been successful with the light calipers because I sit at the range for hours. No problem with a small cartridge.
.30-06 is out of the question. I'll never be able to sit at the range for any length of time. Is there any cartridge slightly bigger (more energy) than a 7mm-08 or 6.5 ??

Not too big or I'll be flintching.

Congratulations on a good tag! With your limit of 300 yards your 7/08 partition combination will be fine--with proper shot placement.
If recoil is that big of an issue then a brake or magnaport and good recoil pad can make a huge difference. I would rather hunt with a rifle I had confidence in then go out and get something ''better '' .

If you just want an excuse for a new 300 yard and in rifle though I would look at a 338 federal,308,or 358 Winchester. The 358 will probably be about like a 30/06 though for recoil. Personally I would just stick with what I had,especially with the ammo situation the way it is.

I just did some research. You can't get ammo or guns. So I'll be sticking to my 6.5CM most likely. It's alot more accurate than my 7mm-08

Ask yourself some questions.... (1) are your elk opportunity shots quick short range? (2) do you have long range shots at your choice of elk that you have some time before shooting? (3) are you hunting from a blind or stationary position or on the move? Answer those questions honestly for your situation and it will help.

My elk hunting has been on the move, ranging from thick timber to small meadows around 10,000 feet elevation. That hunting has been in lodgepole pine or aspen with small meadows in the High Unita Mountains. I chose a 338 Winchester Magnum for that hunting. I have a very nice 270 WSM, 30-06, and 6.5x284 but choose to carry the 338 for knock down power.

I've killed a lot of elk, with 308 - 300 win & they all die just as well as the next. Out to 300 yards it won't matter what you shoot. They aren't as tough as magazines make them out to be

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.