Tripod what are you using?

JMshooter

I'm looking for a solid Tripod to use with my Spotting scope, what brands and model # are you using? I'm using the Vortex Razor 65mm angled.
If there is ones that I should stay away from please post that also.
Thank You

Bogen/manfrotto and Gitzo make excellent quality tripods and more important heads. I currently use a couple different carbon fiber bogens with pan heads. The older I get the more I prefer to stand when gassing which means a larger tripod. outdorrsmans in Phoenix makes a great system with lots of cool adds like rifle rests.

I have a couple and like them all for different aplications; I'm a fan of slik legs. I have a set of 824CF with a 501hdv for heavy glass, I generally haul a set of 634cf w/ 700rc2 head for 15s. I also have a 714cf w/ 700rc2 for loaner and back up.

Interesting question on a hunting forum......

Photography is my "other" hobby and was part of my job for many years. I've lugged heavy film and digital gear through cities, subways and up mountains and a tripod is a standard piece of gear.

A gimbal head may be a good way to attach a spotting scope as they are designed to attach directly to hefty telephoto lenses which are similar to a spotting scope.

The very best carbon-fiber tripod legs money can buy are made by a company called "Really Right Stuff" (RRS). No one else's are in the same ballpark. Gitzo legs are a distant second.
Carbon Fiber Tripods

RRS also make industry-leading ball heads, but there are other's who make nice ones as well (ArcaSwiss, Foba and Burzynski to name a few).

My personal tripod legs are made by Feisol, a Taiwanese company and they are superb. The only things better are RRS (of course) and Gitzo offerings.
Here is a linky to the model I use.
Feisol Tournament Class at ReallyBigCameras.com

They are not the largest legs Feisol sells, but my gear is quite heavy and when schlepping it up a mountain-side every ounce counts!

I use a nothing-special Manfrotto ballhead (498RC2) and it's sufficient.

I've not used any of my photography tripods for hunting thus far, but I may consider it.....

Last edited:
I'm on my second season with my Slik 634 CFL Carbon fiber, seems to be holding up well so far.

A big second for this tripod. Carbon fiber, light and sturdy.

I was even able to use this one at the NTO school as a shooting rest with a rifle saddle attached and it preformed very well in that additional role.

I just used mine at another shooting class and everyone present was impressed with the weight ad performance.

Plus, the price it right. I picked up mine from Amazon. Slik Pro 634CF Carbon Fiber Tripod.

I use mine with a smaller lightweight Novoflex MB MINI MagicBall Mini Ball and Socket Head. A great lightweight, but steady combo for the field that also works well at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.