Tripod setup for Contenders

nksmfamjp

What works? Do the stock clamps work?

Or am I better going with bipod. Looking for something for deer hunting. Prefer something that lets me keep gun in holster.

Are you looking for a tripod to hunt off of, or a bipod that attaches to your Contender?

I mounted my BogPod PSR to an Adrenaline tripod using a camera adapter.

IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG

I took this setup to Africa and it worked great.

I used a bipod for my contender, but I mostly shot out of an elevated shooting house with good benches. This is not a smart answer, but will depend on the circumstance, and obviously try several options and use what works best for you. I bet the pictured setup would work great for Africa or any area with waist high brush.

Keeping a Contender in the holster means you don't want an attached bipod. The setup @Randominator has looks very interesting. I use folding shooting sticks that are shock corded and light weight. They work well for me, but I limit my hunting to 200 yards with my 30 Herrett.

I use a heavy duty BogPod tripod plus PSR full time. Use the BogPod as a walking stick. With this set up I can do standing (565 yds. on a deer) and sitting shots. For prone shooting I tried bipods which were fair, but #1 prone shots are off my backpack filled with a few firm pillows. These methods have worked for 40+ years (or since the PSR came out) in Africa, AK, many western states, & WV, especially on groundhogs. I don't experiment any more with shooting sysyems since these work so well.
These systems work for my Contenders, Encores, and XPs.

I have used a hog saddle that attaches via an arca clamp to my tripod for the guns that I cant put an arca section on, and it works fairly well for a cva scout rifle (pistol would work just as well). This would allow you to keep the gun in a holster.

As already mentioned, the PSR by BOG is really good, but it's not made any longer. I tried a Pig Saddle and that worked ok, but I wanted something better.

Since the PSR is no longer made, I had Ernie send me photos of his with a tape measure in the photos so I could get a better idea of the size. With these measurements, I made my own. It works really, really well. I've shot my revolver off it as well as several XP's. They all shoot great off the system.

Using the Pig Saddle, the only drawback I found was the pistol butt. With the PSR, it's sitting on a squeeze bag. The squeeze bag helps adjust your vertical height.

Here's the one I made.

IMG_0551.jpg

As already mentioned, the PSR by BOG is really good, but it's not made any longer. I tried a Pig Saddle and that worked ok, but I wanted something better.

Since the PSR is no longer made, I had Ernie send me photos of his with a tape measure in the photos so I could get a better idea of the size. With these measurements, I made my own. It works really, really well. I've shot my revolver off it as well as several XP's. They all shoot great off the system.

Using the Pig Saddle, the only drawback I found was the pistol butt. With the PSR, it's sitting on a squeeze bag. The squeeze bag helps adjust your vertical height.

Here's the one I made.

View attachment 480993
Love it!