Tripod experience

CYE555

Hey fellas, looking for some experience/user based reviews on a good spotting scope tripod for hunting. Need something sturdy and functional, but relatively lightweight and compact for hunting in remote areas.

The Vanguard is amazing for the price. Especially the smoothness of the head.

Idaho camera caries the vanguards. I use the tracker-1 tripod ($150) and swapped a manfroto grip to it and could not be happier.

I bought the Vanguard Alta from Len and then made a multiple device holder for it and can mount both my spotting scope and video camera on it and align them so that the camera stays on the same animal as the spotting scope. What this means is that the tripod head will handle a heavy load very well.

I took this video with the double mount on the Vanguard Alta tripod last week. I am spotting for Phil through the Kowa scope and the camera stays perfectly aligned,

Microcystis's Channel - YouTube

There was a very heavy fog that morning that as it burned off teh moisture condensed on every optic we had with us and you can see the droplets on the camera lens as blurry spots.

If you want something very light but still bomber then you should look at the SLIK Sprint Mini II. SLIK makes really solid products. It adjusts from prone height to just over 40". It is the perfect size for glassing while sitting. It is smaller so it will only handle a small to moderate size scope (under 3-4 lbs). It uses a small ballhead top instead of the pan/tilt handle type. You can also use a V-yoke or other adapter to use it as a rest for shooting.

The weight is only 1.7 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs for the Vanguard Alta. It folds more compact as well. Great if you plan on doing a lot of hiking are are carrying all of you other hunting gear.

Cost is $75

Slik Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ 611-806 B&H

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts