Trijicon tenmile vs nightforce nx8

Backcountrydreamer1996

Hello all, I'm on the middle of my first custom build and I've wanted this thing to be just exceptional hunting/range gun. Well it should be done Saturday but I'm still torn on optics.
I'm really a second focal plane moa guy cause it's what I am accustomed to.
Here I am torn between nightforce nx8 4-32x50 and trijicon tenmile hx 5-25x50.
There's Couple ounces and couple hundred bucks between these two but there seems to be no reviews or opinions out on trijicon or compared to other scopes so I would love to hear first hand experience!
Pictures of the build so far just to share!

Attachments

• D33D27E3-2FE9-4A62-9279-150082BC2DE6.jpeg
    D33D27E3-2FE9-4A62-9279-150082BC2DE6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 116
Cartridge?
Nothing to offer as to the Trijicon but did just pick up a nx 8-32. Cf2d second focal plane from here.

The dots are very fine and allow excellent pinpoint shooting. Parallax seems wide to me in the lower range and sharpens easily at higher end. The illumination isn't as bright as the Leupold firedot in the daytime but when put on a dark tree or rock is visible. If buying new I would have rather had the MOAR reticle but saved buying here.

It is pretty heavy but I'm not mad about it. The rifle I put together (300PRC) ended up too light so the weight was beneficial. It just makes it a little top heavy when carrying in hand.

One thing of note about the magnification I was worried about was field of view on low end. It actually grows from 4-5 then proceeds as normal. Not sure the bottom end is true 4x but haven't measure it and won't.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 4-32.

It's gonna be a 7 saum build,
I was worried bout weight. About everything I own wears a vx5hd on top so I'm not used to a heavy scope.
How's the eye box on it? I've heard the 2.5-20 can be real finicky.

I understand wanting some weight on a 300 prc, I just put one together on a 700 action and went with a heavy contour barrel to try and tame it a little! Hopefully get them both out in the next week or two for their first outting.

Attachments

• ACE8297D-739C-4382-8597-AFCC370A2896.jpeg
    ACE8297D-739C-4382-8597-AFCC370A2896.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
I think the eye box thing is really overstated about the nx8's. If you know how to properly mount a scope and shoulder a rifle, then it's not an issue. I think on the 2.5-20 where people run into issues is the shortness and the limited mounting area, if you are not running a full length rail it can force you to mount the scope in a less than optimal position, thus making it hard to get a proper sight picture. In these circumstances, the 2.5-20 is not suitable at times. Doesn't mean it has a bad eye box, instead it has limited mounting options.

On my Bat Vampire action, I had to go with 1.125" nf rings, so I could get it high enough to bring back to where I needed it, as the front objective bell interfered with the rail. With it forward, I could of ran .885 rings, but it wasn't right. With the taller rings, it is back where it needs to be, and I adjust for the slightly higher optic with the adjustable cheek rest on my chassis. On a gun with a fixed cheek rest, it may not have worked right. It may have been a non issue on a short action, and the .885 rings may have been fine. The 4-32 optic is much more forgiving in this aspect, as it is longer and has more mounting area.

All that said......I can't compare it to the trijicon unfortunately, as I haven't tried one. Maybe talk to, or p.m. @Barbourcreek, I think that's what they run on their school rifles.

I agree with Codyadams, no issues with the NX8 eye box. I would look at the reticles, and pick the one that suits you. They are both solid scopes. I moved my NX8 from my hunting rifle to a CZ457 .22, that I shoot in club matches. I just didn't love the floating dot reticle for hunting. I put an ATACR with the Moar-t reticle on my hunting rifle.

Having no NF optics and do have a Trij that the glass has been very good. I've also been thinking of buying the nx8 or the actar.

I will say I have the 4-32 almost all the way back in Warne rings on my anti X. The front slot on the action being the limiting factor for what it's worth...

You should be good with that rail.

Hello all, I'm on the middle of my first custom build and I've wanted this thing to be just exceptional hunting/range gun. Well it should be done Saturday but I'm still torn on optics.
I'm really a second focal plane moa guy cause it's what I am accustomed to.
Here I am torn between nightforce nx8 4-32x50 and trijicon tenmile hx 5-25x50.
There's Couple ounces and couple hundred bucks between these two but there seems to be no reviews or opinions out on trijicon or compared to other scopes so I would love to hear first hand experience!
Pictures of the build so far just to share!
I have a couple Trijicon tenmile 3-18x50s, the glass is better than a vx5 and they track/hold zero with the best of them.
I actually owned am nx8 4-32 ffp model, it definitely had optical issues that I couldn't live with.
I got behind an nx8 4-32 sfp model last weekend and just couldn't get over the poor glass quality..
In my opinion Trijicon is better in every way.
Another optic to consider is the Burris XTRIII 3-18×50
If you haven't already seen the killer deals at Europtic check this out.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...D-Ranging-30mm-Matte-Black-Rifle-3000008.aspx

There is nothing particularly bad about the NX8 IMO. But the trijicon 100% has better illumination, and a better illumination system in general. If that matters to you. And I personally feel like the glass is equal, if not better than an NX8 and a little better eyebox also. Both seem to be plenty durable also. Can't go wrong either way. The particular trijicon you're looking at is also a little lighter than an NX8.

But NX8 is a solid scope. Can't go wrong with either choice.

I agree with Codyadams, no issues with the NX8 eye box. I would look at the reticles, and pick the one that suits you. They are both solid scopes. I moved my NX8 from my hunting rifle to a CZ457 .22, that I shoot in club matches. I just didn't love the floating dot reticle for hunting. I put an ATACR with the Moar-t reticle on my hunting rifle.
How do you like the MOART reticle? Is it to thin to pick up animals at first and last light?

Recent Posts