TRIGGERS

I regularly shoot both single and double stage triggers so am used to both of them and depending on which firearm I am using. MSR type firearms all come with double stage triggers, which is somewhat of a safety feature, not only on MSR types but all different firearms using a double stage trigger. The double stage allows you to take up the slack and finalize your sight alignment, do the breathing before you initiate the final trigger press. Trigger pulls on semi automatic firearms should be set to at least 4.5 pounds for safety reasons. It is too easy to accidentally press the trigger during the recoil, especially if you are wearing gloves.

As for single stage triggers my other rifles all are single stage. The major downfall of the single stage trigger is that it is too easy for the gun to inadvertently discharge, especially if the trigger pull is set too light and even more so when wearing gloves. I have my single stage triggers set to 2.5 to 3.0 pounds. While this does not require a significant amount of pressure during a trigger press to fire the firearm it does give some margin of error while in the process of aligning the sights and the time you actually want the firearm to discharge.

The name of the game is SAFETY!! a trigger of either type set too light is an invitation for an unintentional discharge of the firearm. For those of you who have your trigger set to ounces instead of pounds and maybe ounces how would it feel to have a buck or elk of a lifetime or maybe even a new record and as you are setting up for the shot inadvertently cause the firearm to discharge before you were ready. What would you be thinking as you watch the trophy run off in the distance. I know people who espoused to the light trigger pulls that this has happened to. Simply stated, "Be safe or be sorry,"
Best safety out there.
finger-bye.gif

It doesn't take long to get used to a 2oz trigger, same as a 2lb trigger.
You need a good 2oz trigger to be safe though. Test it. Slam the stock & butt stock with it to be sure it will not release.

The ultimate safeties are to:
Assume a gun is loaded
keep a gun pointed in safe direction

I take care of both by 2nd nature as I never chamber a round until fully ready(all dialed in) to kill something.

Shooting, be it with a handgun, rifle or shotgun, is a "game" of mental discipline, hand/eye coordination and self control. I'd suggest, even though it appears it's not popular, that if you can not shoot a crisp 2 1/2# trigger more practice of the "game" is required, as I'd say it's not the triggers' fault, whether it's a 2 stage or single stage trigger. Triggers set in ounces have their place in the controlled environment of the competition 'benchrest game', the hunting fields not being a controlled environment. Thousands or years of evolution have still not given the individual complete control off his adrenal gland. The best safety is the one between your ears!

Last edited:
I am stuck on TriggerTech Diamonds, and they are set light, and I never touch them until I'm ready for it to go bang. Personally, I cannot shoot accurately with a bad trigger, I won't own a Ruger 77 because of that simple fact. I believe they are superb rifles except for that single issue. My son shoots his unbelievably well, but I can shoot the same rifle and my groups are twice the size of his, and pick my light triggered rifles up and shoot great groups. When I finally could afford good glass and put good triggers on my rifles my shooting improved tremendously. You can't hit it if you can't see it, and you won't hit it unless you are on target when the trigger breaks.

I have many Jewel triggers but also have Timney and Jard in some rifles. Most are set at about 16-20 ozs. I would like to try a TT
Diamond based on reviews.
It is important to keep the Jewel triggers oil free as mentioned in another thread or they will drop the firing pin on bolt closing. I use thinner or brake clean before I go out to the range just to be sure.

I have broken most all of my fingers on my right hand at least once and the 3 most important ones have been broken twice so I don't have the feeling I had as a younger lad so I like a single stage trigger for hunting set at about 2-3 pounds so I don't accidently discharge the firearm.
Man, where have you been sticking those finger. I knew an Iron worker that kept putting his fingers inside the steel connection hole instead of a spud wrench. He kept losing his fingers. Never did figure out why he didn't use his spud wrench.
I was a carpenter and still can count to 10 on my hands. Never put a board across my legs either to cut.
Got to be careful all the time

The name of the game is SAFETY!! a trigger of either type set too light is an invitation for an unintentional discharge of the firearm. For those of you who have your trigger set to ounces instead of pounds and maybe ounces how would it feel to have a buck or elk of a lifetime or maybe even a new record and as you are setting up for the shot inadvertently cause the firearm to discharge before you were ready. What would you be thinking as you watch the trophy run off in the distance. I know people who espoused to the light trigger pulls that this has happened to. Simply stated, "Be safe or be sorry,"

It's a pretty simple operation for me, since learning to shoot in childhood I was taught to never put my finger on the trigger or even inside the trigger guard until I was ready to shoot. If someone triggers a shot early it's my opinion that they should go back to the basics and learn to practice safety and self discipline. While I don't, I'm sure I could hunt safely and effectively with a trigger that pulls in ounces rather than pounds.

Single stage.... simpler
2#... hunting guns....jewels.timneys tuned rem. all same single stage 2#
BR and F class.... jewels at 2 oz..

I have found over the years that getting settled in before placing your finger in the trigger well is the smart thing to do. In the winter and hunting I use a very light pair of wool gloves. I don't use mitten.
Trigger control is the hardest thing for me to master. You are on point. Getting settled in is required for a good shot. And the most important thing is it reduces the chance for an inadvertent ND.

Trigger control is the hardest thing for me to master. You are on point. Getting settled in is required for a good shot. And the most important thing is it reduces the chance for an inadvertent ND.
I'm the same. It's only been a few years ago that I had shot a guys benchrest gun.
I seen him at a shooting range and asked what can I do to better my shooting. He asks what kind of triggers I was using. Factory set at 3lbs. He asks me to shoot his gun, trigger set at 5oz. I've changed every trigger since, set at 12oz to 1.5lbs.
And he showed me setups, my groups closed up dramatically. I still thank him.