Trigger Freezing up on Hunts

Looking for feedback on anyone who has experienced there trigger freezing on a hunt, whether it was a factory trigger or aftermarket, I'm trying to find as much as I can on this topic to build an Ultimate All Weather rifle, I'm leaning to use Satterlee Mauser action? But would like the option to use defiance Deviant CRF also, has anyone had a TriggerTech Freeze???
Just make sure you don't use any oils on the trigger or it can cause it to be to sluggis to work properly. Had a bolt freeze up once. Never again.

Looking for feedback on anyone who has experienced there trigger freezing on a hunt, whether it was a factory trigger or aftermarket, I'm trying to find as much as I can on this topic to build an Ultimate All Weather rifle, I'm leaning to use Satterlee Mauser action? But would like the option to use defiance Deviant CRF also, has anyone had a TriggerTech Freeze???
I live in WY and in 50 years had it twice. It was ice that formed 'behind' the trigger aka inside the mechanism. Gun wouldn't go off as in i couldn't bend the trigger:) Keep whatever trigger dry / covered with a hand or glove or whatever. Be aware when the conditions are that way and no worries

Never had a trigger freeze in 63 years of hunting however, I had a finger freeze when a sow grizzly jumped out and started chewing the Bejesus out of me 36 years ago. Chewed my stock and trigger gard up a bit too. Good thing that I had removed my finger from it or she would have done it for me. I might have offered her a different finger when she left.

Never had a trigger freeze up but like others I have had a bolt freeze due to cold.
Since 2010I started using a dry lube in an aerosol.Tungston Disulfide Spray.The aerosol dissipates and leaves the dry lube.
Tungsten Disulfide is the slickest substance I have ever used and is slicker than snot on glass.
Caution: trigger pull may lighten up due to better lubrication.

Over the years with many different rifles I have never experienced a trigger freeze and that is temps down to -20 degrees. (Not even I am crazy enough to hunt at temps lower than that) I have however had a firing pin issue, where there was oil in the firing pin hole that stiffened up an caused a light strike misfire. Was a shot at a nice buck but thankfully not a buck of a lifetime. Went back to the cabin, used some Rem Action Cleaner to flush out the oil. That cured the issue. These daze I run firing pins dry when the weather is cold.

I had a trigger tech "freeze" up on me in the 90 degree Ca weather. It was an issue with the safety lever inside the housing. Couldn't fire the rifle. Trigger tech replaced it with an upgraded model free of charge also.

I had a Timney freeze in Kansas once. The trigger had gotten solvent in it from previous cleanings. I sprayed the trigger assembly with carburetor cleaner and haven't had another problem.

I never have. Had a friend way in a basin got on 3, 6x6,rifle wouldn't fire extreme cold.Put bolt under his arm pit.No luck, was a Weatherby.Nevr had mine not work in 39 years,weatherby.Shot a bull -20 out . I feel on gun hard in blow down, when on safe there is a pin that locks bolt down.My rifle was stuck this way.I worried if I ran into grizzly I only had one shot, took a big branch and knocked my bolt open, got threw the day.

Had a Jewel that would freeze up on a 7/300 defiance action up here in NoDak. Other times in the cold it would go off with when you took the safety off. These where Real cold days out hunting. Sent it in to Jewel to check Out and when I got it back I sold it to a bench rest shooter and got a Timney. Have put Timney triggers in almost all of my firearms since and they have been to hell and back and not missed a beat(beast🤪). Oddly I have had the same jewel in my 260 (Stiller Predator) I got the same time as the freeze up one and have never had an issue with it. Jewel said nothing was wrong with the one I sent in.

Over the years with many different rifles I have never experienced a trigger freeze and that is temps down to -20 degrees. (Not even I am crazy enough to hunt at temps lower than that) I have however had a firing pin issue, where there was oil in the firing pin hole that stiffened up an caused a light strike misfire. Was a shot at a nice buck but thankfully not a buck of a lifetime. Went back to the cabin, used some Rem Action Cleaner to flush out the oil. That cured the issue. These daze I run firing pins dry when the weather is cold.
A real good safe way to make sure that never happens is to always keep bolt fireing pin down(meaning in the fired position). I hunt and work that way all the time. Safe as there is no round in the chamber to go off, and if you do happen to get moisture in your bolt and it freezes you keep if free from freezing and or break it loose when loading a round to shoot. Some don't like to do this as they think they need a round loaded and ready in the chamber. Only time I'm loaded is when calling a stand or waiting out a critter I am sitting on.

Recent Posts