Tricks for inletting a stock?

SavageHunter11

Long story short, I bought a used wood stock for my rifle build off eBay for $30 as my Manners stock won't be here for the the fall hunting season. I've been using it to explore some things I'm not confident doing on any of my other rifle (i.e. pillars, glass bedding, etc). One of those in installing the Magpul bottom metal (or plastic) magazine system. I was able to get the stock inletted about 95% of the way. It's enough that if I torque the action screws down I'm certain the plastic will flex and the bottom metal will lay flat but that not how I want to do it. Is there a trick out there to help me find this high spot so I can knock it down?

Inletting Black is what I use, in a pinch, (I have never used it!) Wipe a little lipstick on the bottom metal surface and push down till contact. Give it some pressure down to transfer the inlet black, or lipstick, and your high spot is marked.

Inletting Black is what I use, in a pinch, (I have never used it!) Wipe a little lipstick on the bottom metal surface and push down till contact. Give it some pressure down to transfer the inlet black, or lipstick, and your high spot is marked.
never thought of using lipstick...better do that tonight after the wife has gone to bed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.