Tree Danger

dgarrett

If you are hunting forest with bug killed Timber be aware that it is a real danger with wind and the stumps rotting away... Talked with many people that have had trees coming down all around them...Dave

Just a hair different but another danger with stands of burnt and dead timber is not only the wind but when the roots burn underground or rot it creates voids which can fail when stepped on even years later. If horseback have to be double careful. Been there done that.

Thanks for that tip Jim. The trees falling is a no brainer, but I'm sure many would have no idea about the ground possibly giving way in an area like that, especially on horseback with that extra weight!

Was hunting in a backyard burn a couple years back in high wind.

Big trees were getting slammed to the deck.

It was enough to make me consider my path through the area.

Just a hair different but another danger with stands of burnt and dead timber is not only the wind but when the roots burn underground or rot it creates voids which can fail when stepped on even years later. If horseback have to be double careful. Been there done that.
Yep. Where Mario and I went in NM this year they'd had a burn maybe 3-5 years ago and some of those big trees are just now starting to come down as the roots/stumps are finally legging go.

I would not want to be on that ridge in a big wind. Even with a light breeze some were really cracking and popping at the roots.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts