Trajectory Physics

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by edenfies, Dec 11, 2007.

1. edenfies

edenfies Member

I was wondering if anyone here could lend some suggestions for books or literature on bullet trajectory physics. I'm trying to better understand the basis for ballistic software. What assumptions they make, how they set up there models, etc... With this knowledge I want to see if I can make any improvements or develop my own program. Just for a little background, I have a degree in Chemical Engineering so the more technical the better on literature. Also please lend some insight to what you like or dislike about current ballistic software. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. bwaites

bwaites Well-Known Member

Ohhhh boyyy!!!

Have fun!

You can start here:

exterior ballistics

It might not be technical enough for you, but it was for me.

Bill

3. edenfies

edenfies Member

This looks like a good start, thanks for the reply.

4. bwaites

bwaites Well-Known Member

No problem, good luck!

Bill

5. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Thanks for spelling engineer correctly. The last "engineer" I talked to on this site mispelled his so called profession. Or maybe they spell it differently in Texas? I don't know but how could a guy go through 16 years of schooling and not know how to spell it? Then again, he thought cotton patches was what breaks in barrels. Sheesh. Anyhow, I'm rambling and being a jerk.

A good book on your question is "Understanding firearm ballistics" by Robert A. Rinker. It is worth a read, and it has all that fun math to enjoy!

6. James H

James H Well-Known Member

GG
    That thars funny. I thought everyone knew cotton patches is where you picks your cotton. Briar patches is what breaks in barrels.:D
    James

7. edenfies

edenfies Member

LOL... I don't think I would want that guy designing anything for me, especially if he overlooks as obvious of a detail as the misspelling of engineer.

8. älg

älg Well-Known Member

+1 ON "understanding firearm ballistics"