Tough Elk Hunt

KYHILLJACK

Was rough going third season in Colorado. Weather was warm and there was no snow. Big herds were no where to be found. But my neighbor and first time elk hunter scored at 1:30 opening day. I dropped into the dark timber and he was on top of the ridge and I bumped this 5x5 and a 4x4 and a rag horn to him. The shot was 55 yards with a Browning 30.06. We were able to get the atv to within 150 yards of the site for an easier haul out. But my 2 first time elk hunters got a real taste of the altitude and stress of elk hunting. My other buddy, Doug, got sick the next day from sweating then getting cold hauling out the elk. He got bronchitis and had sinus trouble and was unable to continue the hunt. But he says he learned a lot about elk hunting. I tried to tell him about hunting at altitude but there is no substitute for first hand experience. He says he'll be more prepared next year. We were at 10,000 feet here. Good luck to all the rest of the season. I'm hunting whitetail tomorrow on opening of rifle season here in Kentucky. Going to have to put at least 6 in the freezer to make up for no elk this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 89
Congrats on a successful hunt (no one died...)!!! You were in 54 is that right?

Yeah, the altitude will really get to ya without proper conditioning and acclimatization.

Yeah I've always hunted . The guy who got the bull admitted that he had a headache every day out there. We arrived on Tuesday to give them 3 days to acclimate. It's a good deal that Colorado includes a fishing license with your elk tag now. We fished the Gunnison River twice and they both got to catch their first trout also. But I had to take a lot of ribbing when I put on my waders, fly vest, cowboy hat and sunglasses ' just to fish', while I had them throwing a rooster tail spinner. Of course the first day they caught 4 each and I struck out which made it worse.
So far deer season is going a little better. Took a doe opening day and a nice 8 point last night. Couple more does and I'm good for meat until next years elk hunt.

Last edited:
Noticed pics on the site of some base camps, wall tents and all. Thought I might share how we Kentuckians base camp.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 90
Congrats on the success and cool setup with the trailer. I am seeing more and more of those and it makes me wonder why I still sleep in a wall tent, lol!

PM sent.

Yeah we haul the atvs in them then use an army cot and run a generator to power a ceramic heater inside. Works out pretty good. We do have a 5 to 6 mile ride in every morning but the cold air tends to wake you up. Mine is a 5x10 and my buddies is a 6x10. Gonna add a few fold up shelves and towel racks for next year.

Yeah we haul the atvs in them then use an army cot and run a generator to power a ceramic heater inside. Works out pretty good. We do have a 5 to 6 mile ride in every morning but the cold air tends to wake you up. Mine is a 5x10 and my buddies is a 6x10. Gonna add a few fold up shelves and towel racks for next year.
did you insullate your trailers or are they as they came from the factory. I am very interested in doing this for my own elk camp but maybe a 6x14 or a 7x14, big enough for 2 atv's and 2 guys on cots

No we don't insulate them. But I guess you could put in a thin layer. Last year it was colder, down to 0 degrees at night, this year it hit 13 on 2 nights. I used my sleeping bag as a mattress pad, had a set of sheets and 2 heavy covers. Kept the thermostat on the ceramic tower heater at 53 degrees and was just fine. My buddy this year had an Eden Pure heater in his. He had a little more room and no side door which I have and is a real advantage. He built a wall of wood shelves across the front of his for storage. I've seen on the net some pics of some really nice conversions using the size you're talking about. I just used it for the first time last year. Got mine, a 2010 model used for $1300 and bought new tires and bearings for it. Got about $1500 in it and it works out great.

Look real close in the background and see if you recognize the ridge top. An ATV was no option.

Attachments

• Colorado Elk Hunt 015.jpg
    Colorado Elk Hunt 015.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Colorado Elk Hunt 013.jpg
    Colorado Elk Hunt 013.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 79
I see you camped right next to where we parked each day. Probably some of the tire tracks in your picture is from my truck by where you were standing taking your picture. I do like your setup with your trailer. Here is the Bull my son Darren had taken on the 3rd day of the 2nd season. Same ridge I believe that your group was hunting on.

Attachments

• Colorado Elk Hunt 015.jpg
    Colorado Elk Hunt 015.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Colorado Elk Hunt 013.jpg
    Colorado Elk Hunt 013.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Colorado Elk Hunt 016.jpg
    Colorado Elk Hunt 016.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 67
Yeah that's Kentucky Ridge. Tuesday of 3rd season the West Virginia crew spread 6 guys out and pushed the whole ridge. Never saw anything. Were you on the east slope there? Should have been able to pack it straight down to the road. But it does get steeper the farther south you are. Got one in the dark timber one year and dragged it straight downhill in the snow and right into the truck we backed right into the bank. Since I had 2 newbies with me this year I was the one down in the dark timber bumping them out. One year I took a 5x5 in the timber while cow calling and walking into the wind. The bull was 60 yards downhill in a small opening looking over his shoulder for me when we spotted each other. It's a nice ridge to hunt, but usually they're not in there when the pressure is on. That's when they head for the steep slopes of the 2 big valleys. You'll probably recognize this from the ride out.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 109
Looks like the left side of Sun Creek Road heading out before the Private Patch of property. Probably right across from the ridge we hunted the last day of our hunt.

You were talking about the WV guys hunting that ridge we hunted, there were also a good group from COS had hunted it the day after we did with no success. Yes, we were on the east side of the ridge, my son was on top when he bagged that bull. He was setting on a downed tree and the bull came from behind him. Maybe the guys we had seen earlier in our hunt that day had maybe bumped them from the North. We tried to get the bull to slide down but he was overwhelming, so performed everything right there. On the way down it had gotten so steep that it was almost impossible to walk straight down. The rear hind quarters most have been over a 100 pounds each boned out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts