Torque

Kent

What is the recommendation for torquing scope rings, bases, the gun stock to action screws etc? What inch pounds do you torque the various screws at? What make of torque wrench and where do recommend to buying them?

[ QUOTE ]
What is the recommendation for torquing scope rings, bases, the gun stock to action screws etc? What inch pounds do you torque the various screws at? What make of torque wrench and where do recommend to buying them?

[/ QUOTE ]
I use a Seekonk from Brownell's, due to it's ability to torque to various settings.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/P...E+TORQUE+WRENCH

Torque specs will vary with screw size, type and the work material. Manufacturers of the various items will normally have and publish recommended torque values. I did find, upon first getting my torque wrench, that I had been over-torquing almost everything . . .

The action screws will usually be torqued between 40 inch pounds and 65 inch pounds. The higher readings are ONLY for heavy duty, aftermarket triggerguards, like Badger. Put 65 on an aluminum Remington floorplate and it'll likely snap. The stock material can be of concern, the numbers above would apply to solidly glass-bedded or pillar bedded stocks.

The bases normally use 6-48 screws and will often be torqued to 10 to 15 inch pounds. Again, the higher torque values will apply to heavier duty equipment.

Rings secure to bases by various methods. If using clamp-type rings and Picatinney (M1913) bases, those clamp screws will run from 35 to 65 inch pounds. There is so much variation here, it would be important to consult the maker.

Ring screws vary, too, but most of the better makers use 10-15, up 20 inch pounds. On correctly lapped rings and the average hunting rifle, it is doubtful that more than 10-12 in-lb would be necessary.

792000001.jpg

The Seecock is the best way to go, but if you don't want to shell out $160, you can get a 20 lp/in to 100 lp/in unit from
HF for about $30. It works much better than guesstimating. Not as accurate as the Seekonk, but probably good enough.

02696.gif

I agree, B1G_BORE, the Seekonk is sort of overkill and if the tool only sees occasional use, there are other choices that will serve.

Another option is that, if you are only doing specific fasteners, there are T-handled "snapover" style torque wrenches that are pre-set to certain values out there too.

B1G_BORE,
Thanks, I had made up my mind I would start saving the $160.00 bucks and here you come to make my day. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.