Top Gunsmiths

wildcat

Well, I thought this would help a bunch of people on this site who are looking for a top gunsmith to build their long range rifle. I would seriously have your rifle built by one of these guys.

They have all proven themselves as championship rifle builders. All you have to do is look at the 1000 yard bench rest results and you will see their names on many rifles.

Here they are;

1. Dave Tooley
2. Clay Spencer
3. Leonard Baity
4. Rick Beginski
5. Jim Borden
6. Mark King
7. Mike Bryant
8. Mickey Coleman
9. Richard Franklin
10. Gordy Gritters

If you go to 6mmBR.com it will give you there contact info ect.

I would seriuosly consider one of these guys before you look at anyone else.

Wildcat

I know there are some more guys on that list. I have listed the gunsmiths I and other fellows have worked with and have had rifles built by them.

Remember, the guys I have listed have a long pedigree of building proven championship rifles. When you order a rifle to be built by them, you know your going to get an accurate rifle for sure. There is no hesitation, because there is evidence of their accomplishments through benchrest championships and shooting articles.

Wildcat:

Ya know bud, I've been around here for a while and been shooting farther than you can see for longer than you've been out of diapers and all I can say is, in reading and remembering your conduct and way of doing business in all of your threads I've come to the conclusion now, just like when I first started reading the aforementioned threads, that you need to do some growing up and learn how things work amongst friend and foe. Even the enemy, real or perceived, deserves respect, and it's very apparent that you know nothing about that and can only find ways to nip and yap at people, and that reminds one of a childhood playground tirade.

I'll keep this civil and short as what I did have ready to post would have gotten my post pulled if not have gotten me banned. I don't want to upset Len's living room as I kinda like spending some time in it.

I've followed all of your recent threads and it seems like if someone disagrees with you then you go until you find someone that does. That's fine, but to post something that comes across as an out right attempt to slight someone by posting a list and excluding someone,or some people, in particular just rings of a very childish and immature effort on your part.

None of this post is a debate and none of this post is an argument, it's just a statement by me and this is the last I'll say about you or to you. Don't feel compelled to turn it into something it's not as I'll not co-operate with you and your way of doing business.

There are a lot of people that I'd share my campfire with anytime and right up at the top of the list is Kirby, Shawn, Chris, Nate and a few others that don't come to mind right now because I'm not exactly calm, cool or collected and for that I apologize to those I've missed, but whom I consider to be friends.

Trust me when I say this, as it gives me great pleasure, if you ever see my campfire just keep on trucking as it's for friends and even some foes but not for you or your type as long as you conduct yourself the way you're now showing.

Say what you want to this and respond in your normal way as I'm sure you will. I've made my statement and expressed my opinion. This is the end of this, and you, for me.

There are two guys on the list that I have shot in matches with a lot.... I mean a lot (years) and I wouldn't let them rebarrel my BB gun. Putting out lists like this is somewhat dangerous. Good guys get omitted and some that do not deserve to be on the list get on it.

---Not hard to build a 1 moa gun

---Fairly easy to build a .5 moa gun

---Somewhat difficult to build .25 or less moa guns consistently since the smith is at the mercy of the barrel maker. But, when you pick one, the turn-key price will reflect the level of accuracy that he expects out of the gun.

Don't even ask abut the two guys I mentioned above because I will not divulge that information.

Go back ten years and check the names that were hall of fame caliber then and compare it to now. The names that show up on both the lists is a good place to start when seeking a precision shooting stick.

Chawlston

i can't speak of the guys on that list as i don't know them. but when i spent my money i went with some one that does what i wanted my rifle to do. If Kirby Allen isn't at the top of the list for long range shooting then I'm going to buy a BB gun for long range shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus he's also a great guy to deal with when i build another rifle i will be sending my money to Montana with all of the confidence in the word that i will get back what i wanted.

Wildcat:

Ya know bud, I've been around here for a while and been shooting farther than you can see for longer than you've been out of diapers and all I can say is, in reading and remembering your conduct and way of doing business in all of your threads I've come to the conclusion now, just like when I first started reading the aforementioned threads, that you need to do some growing up and learn how things work amongst friend and foe. Even the enemy, real or perceived, deserves respect, and it's very apparent that you know nothing about that and can only find ways to nip and yap at people, and that reminds one of a childhood playground tirade.

I'll keep this civil and short as what I did have ready to post would have gotten my post pulled if not have gotten me banned. I don't want to upset Len's living room as I kinda like spending some time in it.

I've followed all of your recent threads and it seems like if someone disagrees with you then you go until you find someone that does. That's fine, but to post something that comes across as an out right attempt to slight someone by posting a list and excluding someone,or some people, in particular just rings of a very childish and immature effort on your part.

None of this post is a debate and none of this post is an argument, it's just a statement by me and this is the last I'll say about you or to you. Don't feel compelled to turn it into something it's not as I'll not co-operate with you and your way of doing business.

There are a lot of people that I'd share my campfire with anytime and right up at the top of the list is Kirby, Shawn, Chris, Nate and a few others that don't come to mind right now because I'm not exactly calm, cool or collected and for that I apologize to those I've missed, but whom I consider to be friends.

Trust me when I say this, as it gives me great pleasure, if you ever see my campfire just keep on trucking as it's for friends and even some foes but not for you or your type as long as you conduct yourself the way you're now showing.

Say what you want to this and respond in your normal way as I'm sure you will. I've made my statement and expressed my opinion. This is the end of this, and you, for me.
ss7mm some peaple just feed off the attention they get by acting in this manner its best just to ignore them and let them go off and sulk its sad to see an adult act in this manner

+1.

I find this thread in very poor taste, given how you've carried yourself in one other recent thread. Show's us the level you fly at.

In my opinion, this thread is a joke!

If I have a gun that isnt built by Don Geraci, or Bob Brackney it will be built by one of the guys here. I plan on having each build me a rifle. Kirby got the nod first because I had to have a 338AM for some strange reason. My parts have been on order for a while. Nate will be second, if he will build one for me. He did a brake for me and the work was impressive. I am still trying to find the seam where the brake and barrel meet.
I feel loyalty to the smiths here because of all of the great info that they share. Some people appreciate the great info that is shared here. I know that when I get my grubby hands on those guns that they will all be quality long range rigs that will function as intended.

Hmmm, I ordered somthin'. I received somethin'. It out does what the craftsman said it would do. Hey, it don't get no better than than!

There are those who can and do and they are very few.

But I know where several of 'em are.;)

Interesting thread.......

Obviously, if I want a rifle I build it. If I were not in the business, I would list the top smiths I personally know in this order for who I would have build me a rifle:

1. Shawn Carlock

2. Chris Matthews

3. Greg Tannel

That is my short list. I have delt with all of them on personal levels. I am sure the men on the original posted list make fine rifles but if I had a rifle made it would be a long range big game rifle, not a 1000 yard BR rifle and there are serious differences between the two.

The fact that my name is not on the list of "10 Top smiths" means less then nothing to me.

The responses after that post mean more to me then I could ever express. SO to Wildcat, I would like to thank you to proving to everyone on Long Range Shooting what I already know and have known for many years, I have the best customers on the planet because they are my friends and I treat them that way and truely honor their loyalty and trust. Something lost on many young people today.

Each of my customers is my personal friend, I make sure of that, I do not just build them a rifle. IF they want one of my rifles, its a personal honor to be asked to do the work for them.

Will my name make it on any top 10 list for BR shooters, hope not, I build long range big game hunting rifles, not 1000 yard BR rifles. Most of those 1000 yard BR shooters would poop down both legs if I touched off old Black Sunshine off beside them at a BR match....... Not to mention asked them to run with me to 3K after chucks on a weekend outing.

Anyway, back to the original post. I do not know any of these men personally that have been listed, I am sure they can all build fine rifles and I am sure many of them build 1000 BR winning rifles all the time. There is obviously good reason they are on the list.

My preferred smiths, including myself, are long range rifle builders, not 1000 yard BR rifle builders, if you can not tell a difference between the two, you really do not understand what Longrangehunting.com is all about.

Anyway, no hard feelings, not a list I would want to be on anyway....

Again, if I were to have a rifle built, Shawn would get my money hands down and every time.

I am not surpised Richard made the list.....

Kirby Allen(50)

Wow, all I did was list some gunsmiths who have built top notch rifles for myself and friends. Why are some of you guys hammering me.

If you look at my posts regarding Kirby, I bet 99% are very respectful and very complimentry towards Kirby.

I have only had 1, yes 1 disagrement with the man, and I am being attacked. I even apopligized to Kirby regarding some comments that I beleive were taken the wrong way. I even admitted I should have used a different example to prove my point on that post. I even apoplogized to Kirby on the same post.

I have stated on Many occaions that Kirby Allen is an excellent gunsmith. I have never had a rifle built buy him, however, I know from what you guys have said he is really good.

I have informed many people, on this site, to have Kirby build their rifle, especially if their looking for the ultimate long range big game rifle.

I will say it again, Kirby Allen is an awesome long range rifle builder. Really how else and how many times do I have to say it.

I am sorry I didn't add Kirby to the list. This post was not intended to offend Kirby or say he is not a good smith. Once again, Kirby is a great smith. Really, some of you guys need to get a life!

Wildcat

Fifty, why do you have to make comments like that regarding Richard. "Your not surprised Richards on that list".

I just got done saying your a great smith and giving you a tone of compliments. However, you decide to make some comments like that. This post was not ment to offend you, Hell I even said you were on awesome smith on this post. I would recommend you to anyone.

My god, this is absolutely ridiculous!!!

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.