Tools for field positions

SCdeerhunter

Looked around a little and couldn't find much info. What accessories are you guys using for field positions? Obviously I have a bipod and rear bag but as we all know prone isn't always possible due to terrain, brush, etc. Looking for what guys are using for sitting positions as far as shooting sticks or rear support. Really trying to become better at shooting in field positions this year instead of prone or using a bench. Thanks in advance.

I have long been a fan of shooting from the seated position and have been fooling around with shooting sticks the last couple of years. While practicing one day I realized if I wrapped my shooting arm around the tripod my rangefinder was sitting on I could really shrink my hold on target. I know a lot of guys just put their pack on their lap and rest the rear of the rifle on that. I would be interested in how other guys are doing this. The pack is a lot more flexible, but sometimes my pack is too small, and while a bit ergonomically challenging (I have one of the tripod legs in my crotch), I can get really steady at a practical shooting height. Now I often pack sticks and a lightweight tripod for still hunting. Not only does it help my shooting, but my rangefinder performs a lot better from the tripod, compared with being handheld.

Here is a cool trick I'm intending to try;

I use a tall Bipod Buddy and a tall Harris bipod with Morse bipod spikes all on a 300 WSM. It is an accurate setup to 600 yards from a seated position.
http://www.bipodbuddy.com/
That looks like that would definitely steady things up a bit. Does it have a way to lock it to a particular height? Or just enough friction to hold it?
I have long been a fan of shooting from the seated position and have been fooling around with shooting sticks the last couple of years. While practicing one day I realized if I wrapped my shooting arm around the tripod my rangefinder was sitting on I could really shrink my hold on target. I know a lot of guys just put their pack on their lap and rest the rear of the rifle on that. I would be interested in how other guys are doing this. The pack is a lot more flexible, but sometimes my pack is too small, and while a bit ergonomically challenging (I have one of the tripod legs in my crotch), I can get really steady at a practical shooting height. Now I often pack sticks and a lightweight tripod for still hunting. Not only does it help my shooting, but my rangefinder performs a lot better from the tripod, compared with being handheld.

Your tripod tip is kinda what I've seen some other ppl do. I had read an article on here where they suggested shooting sticks up front then a second one angled back towards the butt of the rifle to support that. Trying to find a way that's quick and easy to get set up with while not having to carry alot of extra gear. I've act seen that video before. It seems like that would help steady it up alot in addition to helping muzzle jump.

Last edited:
While hunting I like to use shooting sticks if possible. I made a pair from tent poles with elastic cord and a piece of fuel hose. There are other possibilities like off a pack, or a tree limb, or alongside a tree. I've also seen the use of para-cord to create a loop off a branch but I haven't tried this.

While hunting I like to use shooting sticks if possible. I made a pair from tent poles with elastic cord and a piece of fuel hose. There are other possibilities like off a pack, or a tree limb, or alongside a tree. I've also seen the use of para-cord to create a loop off a branch but I haven't tried this.
I like the Paracord idea. That definitely never crossed my mind as a possibility.

Most every tactical sling is made to do this very thing. From the front sling mount run it under the the tripod and connect it to your belt. Move your hips back and it steady's you up big time and keep muzzle jump to zero. Or you can take your sling from the front sling mount and wrap it around the tripod leg a few times, then twist the sling with your off hand to tighten it up. Kinda hard to explain. Again, unreal steady and muzzle jump is nil. Pretty common to see PRS guys using one of these two methods depending on angle when shooting from a tripod.

Most every tactical sling is made to do this very thing. From the front sling mount run it under the the tripod and connect it to your belt. Move your hips back and it steady's you up big time and keep muzzle jump to zero. Or you can take your sling from the front sling mount and wrap it around the tripod leg a few times, then twist the sling with your off hand to tighten it up. Kinda hard to explain. Again, unreal steady and muzzle jump is nil. Pretty common to see PRS guys using one of these two methods depending on angle when shooting from a tripod.
Yeah that one kinda went over my head lol I'd have to see a picture of that. It is hard to explain some if these positions. I need to quit putting it off and go shoot a prs match just to get some ideas on this stuff.

Recently I tried a screw in step to hold the front of the gun and a mono shooting stick for the back it worked ok but its hard to control the back of the gun from side to side wobble. I think bipod shooting stick would work a lot better to prevent the rear wobble. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Recently I tried a screw in step to hold the front of the gun and a mono shooting stick for the back it worked ok but its hard to control the back of the gun from side to side wobble. I think bipod shooting stick would work a lot better to prevent the rear wobble. Good luck hunting and be safe.
I've done this before. Works really well from a climbing stand that faces the tree. Otherwise I had the same issues you said. Think the other guys suggestion for a tripod would work really well using this method from the ground

Last edited:
I think any thing to help the back end. A tripod would probably do the trick. Good hunting and be safe.

That looks like that would definitely steady things up a bit. Does it have a way to lock it to a particular height? Or just enough friction to hold it?

The Bipod Buddy works in a scissor fashion and is adjustable from a few inches to about 2ft or a little more. It locks in with the use of the same type of arm used on a Harris Bipod to lock it. These things are very well made and light to carry. Watch some of the vids from the website of people shooting with them. I use it in the dessert where they are not trees and the sage is high. Shooting sticks work well, they they cannot give the stability of a Bipod Buddy for long shots.

Last edited:
My go to field gadget is the Primos Trigger Stick's II. I have both the medium and tall sticks depending on where I'm hunting and how tall the grass is etc.

If there are trees around I brace my back/shoulder against a tree using the tripod in front and if not I carry a set of lightweight Stony Point Bipod sticks to place under the rear.

Between those two and a pack I don't find myself lacking enough support in pretty much any circumstance.

Nature provides us a lot and it sure can save you a lot of weight if you just look for what's already there around you and use it.

Bipods and rear bags are great at the range or if you happen to be shooting on a wide open, flat wheatfield but in most other circumstances I find myself in, in the field they tend to be pretty much useless.

My favorite hunting blind is a fallen tree and I just shoot off of the limbs or off of limbs I've laid across as "cross members".

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.