Took a ride and ran in to this !

Fake??? Well it's a real moose for sure... I've seen a Shiras very much like this one, which my 3 yellow labs decided to surround and and bark at.... I was scarred sh!#^%$$ cause I thought that moose would start chasing the dogs and they like good faithful labs would come running back to their loving master..... true story :cool:

We have a some good Shiras bulls here. Prior to the wolves showing up, I figured the next Boone and Crockett #1 would come from here. the 3 species break out as follows. Alaska- Yukon 224 minimum #1 261, Canadian minimum 195 #1 242, Shiras minimum 155 and #1 205. I won't say the pictures fake, but the angle its taken from gets the most out of it. I think 75" wide is the biggest reliable number I find, and not every track through the woods is full sized. Advantageous perspective or animal superimposed who knows.

Riley, you've likely reviewed the youtube moose videos and have an idea how big moose get. To really appreciate it, there is no substitute for rounding a corner on an ATV, and finding the road blocked by bull in the rut. Even the cows look big from an ATV a few feet away. I've seen one about 220" hit the deck in the NWT, very impressive. Horseback riding the same trails they travel through the brush will also impress on you their size. I can tell you first hand they fill up the windshield of a Dodge pick up. At 60MPH we missed that one close enough to see he was as puckered as I was. Spring, no horns, and his rear end was as high the mirror tops.

We have a some good Shiras bulls here. Prior to the wolves showing up, I figured the next Boone and Crockett #1 would come from here. the 3 species break out as follows. Alaska- Yukon 224 minimum #1 261, Canadian minimum 195 #1 242, Shiras minimum 155 and #1 205. I won't say the pictures fake, but the angle its taken from gets the most out of it. I think 75" wide is the biggest reliable number I find, and not every track through the woods is full sized. Advantageous perspective or animal superimposed who knows.

Riley, you've likely reviewed the youtube moose videos and have an idea how big moose get. To really appreciate it, there is no substitute for rounding a corner on an ATV, and finding the road blocked by bull in the rut. Even the cows look big from an ATV a few feet away. I've seen one about 220" hit the deck in the NWT, very impressive. Horseback riding the same trails they travel through the brush will also impress on you their size. I can tell you first hand they fill up the windshield of a Dodge pick up. At 60MPH we missed that one close enough to see he was as puckered as I was. Spring, no horns, and his rear end was as high the mirror tops.

This moose looks huge (and it is relatively speaking) because of the young trees and narrow road. The antlers are a little over 40", definitely less than 50". It's a very respectable bull by lower 48 (Shiras) standards, but a baby by Alaskan (Alaska- Yukon) standards. On that road, the mirrors on my pickup would have been slapping the trees on either side.... been there, done that...so, a bit of an optical illusion.

I've been close and personal with the Shiras and Alaskan moose. One midnight sun night in the Fairbanks area, I was walking along a small lake shore bordered by thick willows, taking pics, when a big cow with calf stepped out right in front of me... about 20 yards. That got my attention.... so much so that I didn't take a pic. I've seen quite a few others (Alaskan) from inside a car or truck. I've also see quite a few of their smaller cousins down here, and body wise, a good sized Shiras bull is close to an Alaskan, but a big difference in antlers.

This moose looks huge (and it is relatively speaking) because of the young trees and narrow road. The antlers are a little over 40", definitely less than 50". It's a very respectable bull by lower 48 (Shiras) standards, but a baby by Alaskan (Alaska- Yukon) standards. On that road, the mirrors on my pickup would have been slapping the trees on either side.... been there, done that...so, a bit of an optical illusion.

Yeah, what he said. Probably wasn't clear about the 75" moose. Was trying to make the point you did, using the reference points available, especially road dimensions. I've put many scratches along the length of my trucks, on roads just like that.

It's a poor angle and presentation of the antlers to judge their width, but I wouldn't think 50" either. Around 47".

They've had to be 50" wide or 3 brow tines on one side or the other to be legal where I hunted here in Alaska for many years. I've shot a number of moose from 42" to 62" wide. This one seems to be shy of 50, but again it's a poor view of the antlers for purposes of judging width.

I get the impression he's rut-crazed, based on the disregard for the photographer and some yellowed fall grass/vegetation in the photo. These large bulls can be dumb as fence posts, and unpredictable, during the height of the rut.

Just thought I would way in since I enjoyed reading this thread so much. When I first clicked on it and saw that pick I thought wow, how lucky to see that since we don't have moose out hear and wanted to congratulate him, Then found out it wasn't true and felt the same as most of you. Why? Isnt there a spot for jokes on here. I do think that could be a real moose and his antlers are normal size its just his body or legs. Makes that road look like a game trail. Maybe they were in a rice rocket?

Just read through this thread and my guts are sore from laughing so hard.

On a side note......I can't believe there is a forum for Hi-Point Firearms.

I have laughed through most of this post and enjoyed the give and take......seriously though, you cant believe how big a moose is until you have walked up to one you have shot that is 12 hard miles from a gravel road......my thoughts at the time were, "my god what have I done".......... the one I got was only about 55" but was an old, big bodied moose. I am a pretty good judge of size/weight and guessed him conservatively @ 1500lbs. the hams weighed 195lbs each, cut off at the ball joint. AJ

I don't know if I will ever recover this thread is way to FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!:D P.S. Richard I don't know you but what I do know is a man with out honor or integrity is not worthy of that title. I wont say that your a lier but your in a pretty sticky spot and if your not a lier you need to fix the wrong that you have dun.

Laughed for most of this. I think this is photo shopped and here is why. If you look at the shadows on the ground the sun is to the left of the pictures. Look closely at the tree across the road in picture 1 and 2. The shadows are the same, there is no shadow on the road from the moose in photo 1. Also if you look at photo 2 there should be shadows from the moose on the trees on the right side of the road. I sure can't see them. I do see really bright trees. I may be wrong but without the original photo to check on a computer I say photo shopped.

nice bull but not impressive, I'm with Phorwath, not legal in my area, won't make 50", and no 3 brow tines on at least one side as far as I can tell,
photo may be a fake or maybe not, I have seen moose dwarf a narrow dirt road many times and still not be a shooter.
the bull I got this year is much bigger than the one in these pics and still not a monster moose !

as for Richard .... *** dude ! lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.