Too much scope

And get familiar to using a SFP.

Knowing how to use both SFP and FFP never hurts. I did not have any problem transitioning from SFP to FFP. I too prefer the FFP but I still have a good mix of rifles with SFPs.

Isn't the 300 win mag a 1000 yrd weapon, while the 308 is more in the 600 yrd range?

There are quite a few folks here that have stretched the .308 to the 1500 yards (IIRC), Montanamarine and Bigngreen come to mind. If you do a little digging, there are some threads about it.

Last edited:
I bought a FFP Vortex last year and quickly found out I couldn't see the reticle at low power. The place where I worked doesn't carry FFP scopes.

I prefer a duplex reticle with a custom elevation turret.

I gave the scope to one of my friends.

Hello LRH, I have a couple of questions. I've been looking around the board here and noticed people talking about the MOA of a scope.... Not the reticle perhaps but the MOA of the scope.
All that being said I purchased a .308 and mounted a Vortex 5X25X50. I now realize that is probably over kill on the glass. So I'm going to take it off the 308 and put it on a 300 Win Mag.
Second Question: I purchased a Diamond Back 3X9X40 Is that enough scope to get the 308 out to 600 yrds. If not could you tell me a good scope for the 308. I don't believe the Vortex is over kill for the 300 win mag... or am I wrong on that one too.

Thank you for any help you can offer,
WhiteRook/ Ron.

OK one more question I have an 338 Savage 110. I had a chance to purchase one with a tactical body.......figuring I don't want to go to the range with all my weapons looking like I'm going to go off. Don't get me wrong I love the stock on it.. I fits well, and drops right in when I put it to my shoulder... My regret for not purchasing the tactical version is the butt. I need to put it on a sandbag or one of my range bags.
Question: how much would I spend dropping the rifle into a tactical body

Thank You for any help you can offer,
Sincerely, WhiteRook/Ron

Not sure if someone mentioned. But a huge factor as well is glass quality. I started with pst gen 1. We shoot goats that weigh between 50 to 80lbs on average. and iinitially would find myself cranking up power jus to see the detail i needed. So few years later, with the mindset that more poweris better, i own a zco 5 to 27. Now, with this glass i routinely test myself. I zoom in to where i see everything in detail and am amazed with how little zoom i need. Being at 6-9 power "feels" like 15ish on my lower quality pst. Now. The only thing i wish is to have more fov. So hopefully i can get hold of a 4-20 or even better a TT 3-15.

Morale is, more power might be needed in a lower tier scope, but youll severely sacrifice fov and add added weight. So if you can, get the best glass with minimal power to get the task. Weve shot goats at 500 yards with 12 power easily between my zco and my bros khales.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.