Too late to start?

Never to late to start. "Dear - we each have our own interests, and this is something I would like to try. " My wife was not all that excited about me starting with Long Range Precision shooting and reloading ( Especially when she saw how much my rifle cost me) BUT she also understands everyone has things they want to do, or at least try. Adds to the conversations!

Sir, I would recommend a men's weekend out at the very least. Being gone in the woods on a testosterone filled weekend you will understand the calling into the wild, break off the "civilized" mind set of nesting. That kind sir, is the job of a woman.
BTW
if shortages happen because of Covid 😳
Your wife can choose to go hungry or try some really good backstrap with bacon and jalapeño.... just maybe it will break the idea of wild meat being Rocky Mountain oysters 🤷‍♂️

Just be careful on your approach as this could turn into an old song LAWYERS GUNS AND MONEY

My wife for 37 years has put up with my hunting for all of those years. I'll be 60 soon too. Se was with me at my last Doctors appointment when the Doc. said, "do you get out and walk daily?" "When I'm hunting", I said. He then said I needed to hunt every day! My wife rolled her eyes, but I came out beaming!!
OOP! Time for me to go Hunt........ out on my walk!

I have been married for 35+ yrs. I have never hunted anything but fish & only then a few times a year with 3 fishing buddies. Now my fishing buddies have either retired & moved away or have plain retired. I am the last one working & a co-worker whom i have known & worked with for 25 yrs has invited me Deer Hunting for several years now. I want to go, the deadline for getting tags is in 2 days. This fall i will be 60 yr old. I did not bring it up to my wife before because i know how she feels about hunters......because her dad & uncles hunted & she grew up & did not appreciate their demeanor. Last night i told her i wanted to go this fall, She gave every reason under the sun ranging from , "This is not you" to , "i don't want the mess in the house, i will not eat deer meat, Your 60 yrs old, you have a bad back, you could get shot. You are not going to do this. You did not grow up this way"...…..My question is , How do i get thru to her? I do not want to be insensitive but is hunting worth pursuing at my age? I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Never too late, I hope to be hunting And fishing til I die and would prefer it happen on a hunting trip rather than laying on a death bed in a nursing home. How to get through to your wife? Wow!! When you find out copy right the answer and retire a wealthy man. Hunting does not make a mess in the house, she doesn't have to eat venison, you are never too old or too unhealthy to experience a hunt. To "get through to her" explain your desire to experience something new, for the first time. Explain the hunt is truly about the experience not simply killing an animal. Then ask her if she has an experience she would like to pursue at least one time before the end. If so, agree to work together and support each other to make each of your desires a reality. You guys have been together 35 years and know more about how to do that than most married couples so pretty sure you got this. Good luck with it and have fun with the adventure.

I have been married for 35+ yrs. I have never hunted anything but fish & only then a few times a year with 3 fishing buddies. Now my fishing buddies have either retired & moved away or have plain retired. I am the last one working & a co-worker whom i have known & worked with for 25 yrs has invited me Deer Hunting for several years now. I want to go, the deadline for getting tags is in 2 days. This fall i will be 60 yr old. I did not bring it up to my wife before because i know how she feels about hunters......because her dad & uncles hunted & she grew up & did not appreciate their demeanor. Last night i told her i wanted to go this fall, She gave every reason under the sun ranging from , "This is not you" to , "i don't want the mess in the house, i will not eat deer meat, Your 60 yrs old, you have a bad back, you could get shot. You are not going to do this. You did not grow up this way"...…..My question is , How do i get thru to her? I do not want to be insensitive but is hunting worth pursuing at my age? I feel i would regret it if i didn't at least try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
You might want to learn to shoot first, if you have not: might take some time? How about just carrying a camera on your first ever hunt and see if you will truly enjoy the experience and get a better idea of what it is all about? 60 is still quite young to me; lots of years ahead.

My Solution To Your Dilemma:

Not to be insensitive to your wife's demeanor but you can not possibly experience all that life has to offer by being suppressed by your spouse.
In this case simply state that you are not like her family and the way that they have conducted themselves, but rather state that you are your own man !
Instead present her with these facts.
It will just be you and your friend simply doing what men have been doing for centuries.
You will be experiencing mother nature and all its resplendent beauty.
That in itself can become an awe inspiring event.
At this stage in your life you would like to experience something new.
Even though you are a senior that should not be an obstacle that should prevent your participation.
Indicate to her that this is something that you have always thought about and now you actually now have a chance to do.
Assuming that you are not well versed in hunting skills assure your wife that your buddy will always be close by and will keep a steely eye on your welfare.
If not to late enroll in a Hunter Safety Class (mandatory in some sates before issuing a tag)
Tell her that if the situation was reversed you would not resent her from going.
Before you proceed any further:
Please Ask Your Hunting partner for his permission !

Finally
( and I have successfully used this ) ask her to come along.
Explain to her exactly what your plan is and where you intend to eat and sleep.
If it is a camp , ask her if she would mind looking after it while you two guys hunt.
Explain to her that she could keep a fire going in conjunction with the cooking of breakfast and supper.
She could also help to make and pack a sandwich and coffee lunch while performing other needed camp chores.
Remembering to offer her as much assistance as possible. in the performance of these tasks.( general cleaning of the camp area ,washing of dishes etc. )
During the afternoons while you are hunting she could indulge in a trip into town ( if close by ), or perhaps use this downtime to just decompress by reading a book, or just enjoy some quiet time alone.
If you have a mind to have supper in town, insure her that she will be going with you !
If this doesn't sound very appealing to her, invite her to come along and join you in your stand .( as a companion and not a hunter )
Remember:
Bring along a camera and document your events.
In this manner she will gain first hand knowledge of what sport hunting and not necessarily the harvesting of game is all about.
As she is thinking this over offer to take her to dinner and shopping for some new clothes. (Hunting attire and safety vest)
At this point she will either hopefully say yes or OK honey go along without me !
If she decides to go , you must do all that you can to make it a memorable and enjoyable experience for the both of you.
An event that the both of you can proudly tell your friends about

To all of you Nay Sayers out there Please "Hush your mouths'!"

Last edited:
First, buy the tags and go from there. No tags, no hunt for sure. Second, as someone told me before I got married (40+ yrs ago) regarding the secret to marital bliss, she'll get over it.

My suggestion would be to tell her in a loving matter of fact manner you are going. Hunting has been in my blood since I can remember and it's a big part of who I am. My wife of twelve years knew that when we were married (second marriage and we are both mid sixties now) so it was a given going in. She doesn't hunt and hadn't been around it before. Neither of us care much about deer meat but she loves and cooks elk, moose and wild turkey. She probably doesn't understand the drive I have for it but she respects it.

While she's never actually hunted with me, when I've been fortunate to draw a western tag (we live in the East) We've combined some great western vacations before and after hunts. She hadn't seen much of the west before we got together and she loves it. It's been a great way to include her in the experience as she enjoys the country, wildlife and scouting around.

My guess is the only regret you will have is that you didn't start sooner!

One other thought you might share with her is what a Spaniard named Ortega said: You don't hunt to kill, but you kill to have hunted.

Hunters do more for animals than p.e.t.a.

1)Your tag money help protects animals preventing unlawful poaching.
2)feeds animals during harsh winters.
3)prevents animal disease from over population.
4)pays for animal studys and research
5)helps add habitat
6) makes for regulated harvest at responsible harvest numbers.

If she dont want you to be part of that tell her I said "shame!"

Your friends quit fishing because they were retired? I should kill myself now.

Please don't, one buddy retired & moved to Arizona, the other buddy followed suit, now they are neighbors almost living only 5 min. apart. I am happy for them both & glad they have each others company.
My other buddy retired & has a small 14 ft boat that is just right for a couple people, but he has no plans to fish since he is taking care of his elderly parents.....I understand completely.....as my own folks are getting up there as well.

My wife for 37 years has put up with my hunting for all of those years. I'll be 60 soon too. Se was with me at my last Doctors appointment when the Doc. said, "do you get out and walk daily?" "When I'm hunting", I said. He then said I needed to hunt every day! My wife rolled her eyes, but I came out beaming!!
OOP! Time for me to go Hunt........ out on my walk!
Good for YOU....go get em!!!!

My Solution To Your Dilemma:

Not to be insensitive to your wife's demeanor but you can not possibly experience all that life has to offer by being suppressed by your spouse.
In this case simply state that you are not like her family and the way that they have conducted themselves, but rather state that you are your own man !
Instead present her with these facts.
It will just be you and your friend simply doing what men have been doing for centuries.
You will be experiencing mother nature and all its resplendent beauty.
That in itself can become an awe inspiring event.
At this stage in your life you would like to experience something new.
Even though you are a senior that should not be an obstacle that should prevent your participation.
Indicate to her that this is something that you have always thought about and now you actually now have a chance to do.
Assuming that you are not well versed in hunting skills assure your wife that your buddy will always be close by and will keep a steely eye on your welfare.
Tell her that if the situation was reversed you would not resent her from going.
Before you proceed any further:
Please Ask Your Hunting partner for his permission !

Finally
( and I have successfully used this ) ask her to come along.
Explain to her exactly what your plan is and where you intend to eat and sleep.
If it is a camp , ask her if she would mind looking after it while you two guys hunt.
Explain to her that she could keep a fire going in conjunction with the cooking of breakfast and supper.
She could also help to make and pack a sandwich and coffee lunch while performing other needed camp chores.
Remembering to offer her as much assistance as possible. in the performance of these tasks.( general cleaning of the camp area ,washing of dishes etc. )
During the afternoons while you are hunting she could indulge in a trip into town ( if close by ), or perhaps use this downtime to just decompress by reading a book, or just enjoy some quiet time alone.
If you have a mind to have supper in town, insure her that she will be going with you !
If this doesn't sound very appealing to her, invite her to come along and join you in your stand .( as a companion and not a hunter )
Remember:
Bring along a camera and document your events.
In this manner she will gain first hand knowledge of what sport hunting and not necessarily the harvesting of game is all about.
As she is thinking this over offer to take her to dinner and shopping for some new clothes. (Hunting attire and safety vest)
At this point she will either hopefully say yes or OK honey go along without me !
If she decides to go , you must do all that you can to make it a memorable and enjoyable experience for the both of you.
An event that the both of you can proudly tell your friends about

To all of you Nay Sayers out there Please "Hush your mouths'!"
Simply Awesome!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts